One time felon Kemba Smith spoke of personal responsibility and the law to nearly 350 Young Scholars on Sunday at Weigel Hall.

The Young Scholars are a group of under-represented, economically- challenged high school students participating in the Samuel Dubois Cook 2001 Summer Academy at Ohio State. Smith discussed with the scholars about how life choices can shape their future.

Smith’s association with her drug dealing ex-boyfriend, led to a 24-year prison term. Smith never sold or abused the drugs herself, however she was convicted as a first-time drug offender.

Smith served six and a half years of her sentence in a federal prison before receiving a pardon from former U.S. President Bill Clinton in December of 2000. Since her pardon, Smith has worked to educate young students about her experience.

“There is a purpose for me standing here today,” Smith said. “Each time I speak it is a healing process for me because of everything that I have gone through.”

Smith, an only child, came from a disciplined and well-educated family from Virginia. Smith’s parents sent their daughter to the historically black college of Hampton University, however the sheltered life she had lived did not prepare her for the challenges that would come.

“I got caught up in the mentality that I could finally do whatever I wanted. I was not mentally prepared for the decisions and temptations that presented themselves,” Smith said.

Smith discussed the bad choices she made, which eventually led to her involvement with her ex-boyfriend, who she said was a known drug dealer. She said her low self-esteem and lack of self-respect kept her in an abusive three year relationship with him .

Smith encouraged students to make correct choices concerning who they associated with and advised them to seek out student organizations that interested them.

The students were encouraged to respect themselves and earn the respect of others.

“You have a responsibility to yourself and to your family,” Smith said. “It is your responsibility to make your family proud.”

Smith also spoke about federal judges, who cannot tailor the punishment to fit the crime because of stiff drug laws.

Through the NAACP legal action fund, Smith was represented for free. She is very grateful for this and stressed to the audiance, the importance of giving back. This desire to give back is what led Smith to begin speaking to young students.

Smith received her pardon after a number of letters were written in her support. She also had a lot of support from Congress and her case received national attention.

She spoke personally to several of the students during an emotional question and answer session.

Smith works part-time as a legal assistant and will recieve her undergraduate degree in social work in May of 2002. She plans to attend law school in the fall of 2002.