Former United States Congressman John Kasich gave a lecture this evening at Schoenbaum Hall sharing some of the knowledge he massed during his distinguished legislative career.

Sponsored by the OSU School of Public Policy this marked what will be the first in a number of lectures Kasich plans to give. The issues discussed included everything from interesting moments in his political career to topics such as welfare reform, education, and other various political subjects.

Originally from Pittsburgh, PA Kasich came to Columbus and attended OSU knowing no one in the state let alone the school. Even though he resided in Morril Tower and complained about the fact that he roomed with fifteen others Kasich firmly stated, “I absolutely loved this school.”

After graduating in 1974 Kasich landed an assistants position down at the Statehouse, and only a few years later made the decision to run for State Senator. “It was a tough long campaign and for one and a half years all I did was walk door to door shaking hands,” said Kasich. With all the odds against him Kasich was able to raise $78,000, a significant amount of money in a state senator’s race at the time, and defeated his Democrat opponent handily in the 1978 election.

“I had a great time in the Ohio Senate,” said Kasich.

Unfortunately his district was eliminated and in 1982 not wanting to run against one of his mentors in the Senate, Kasich’s only option was to run for Ohio’s District 12 seat in the United States House of Representatives, at the tender age of 30.

The move would prove wise as Kasich won the seat, and with it a place of power in Washington, D.C. “I still remember the night I was elected, it was just surreal,” said Kasich.

Kasich went on to highlight some of the more noteworthy accomplishments that took place during his nine terms, or eighteen years in Washington. Kasich referred to his work that led to major welfare reform as, “one of the greatest things that happened in my lifetime.”

As the chair of the congressional committee that wrote the final version of the welfare reform bill that would eventually become law, Kasich played a major role in the final product. He was able to ensure that the law required welfare recipients to work for their benefits, limit benefits to only five years, and give states more control of welfare programs.

Being an interactive lecture where questions were encouraged, obviously a number of the questions asked dealt with politics.

“Don’t be a partisan, be an elected official,” said Kasich who also commented on campaign finance reform, “Just open it all up. Let candidates accept money from anywhere as long as they disclose the source.” He went on to add, “There also needs to be full disclosure of the individuals behind the funding of advertisements.”

When asked if he thought money was buying politicians Kasich said, “I don’t think so. Do people get access? Yes. Really though what is someone getting by giving you money, since they already agree with what you are saying or believe.”

When asked about education Kasich focused less on higher education problems and more on the problems surrounding the primary education system.

“I don’t feel primary education will ever work without the use of vouchers. Monopolies do not work in business, they do not work anywhere,” said Kasich. “In public education there is no accountability. With vouchers a school district can lose market share, forcing schools to change,” said Kasich.

Kasich also discussed some work he did dealing with third world nations and debt relief plans, which interestingly enough involved rock superstar Bono of the band U2. “I was talking to my barber and friends about the issue, while Bono was discussing it with the Pope and our paths converged and we got some great things accomplished,” said Kasich. I like modern music, and that tends to sometimes be unusual for people in my profession. I like Linkin Park, ” said Kasich.

One of the final questions Kasich was asked dealt with how the Republican party can begin to draw minority voters and Kasich had an interesting perspective, “Hey, if minority voters want to continue to march to the poles and vote for one party, all the while being under appreciated and taken for granted then so be it.”Along with serving on a number of public companies boards and working for Lehman Brothers Kasich stays busy by hosting his own television program which airs on Fox News and something called The New Century Project.

The goals of this project include supporting organizations and candidates who favor limited government and the success of a free market system. By building a team of government and community leaders the group aims at preparing America to face the challenges in the new century.

Links: – Website of Jon Kasich’s New Century Project

www.who2.com/johnkasich.html – A page full of other links pertaining to Kasich

www.opensecrets.org -Look up any political figures financial contributors