Both Christopher Caprette and Professor Terndrup touted the dangers of introducing “intelligent design” into our schools, violating the so-called separation of church and state. The first thing I’d like to note is that nowhere in our Constitution is there any mention of this “wall” between the two.

Second, religion has already irreversibly permeated our schools. A religion is “a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith.” Neither intelligent design nor evolution can ever be proven, so they must be believed, making them both religious views.

Particles-to-people evolution requires changes that increase genetic information, but all we have ever observed is the sorting and loss of information (think back to genetic mutations from your biology class – deletions, inversions, translations, etc.). Fossil records are sketchy at best; if so many changes occurred over the years (billions of years, I’m told), then it seems we should find more than a handful of doubtful “links.”

“Evolution is promulgated as an ideology, a secular religion – a full-fledged alternative to Christianity, with meaning and morality… Evolution is a religion. This was true of evolution in the beginning, and it is true of evolution today.”

No creationist said that. Those were the words of Michael Ruse, one of the world’s foremost Darwinians. If this is such a “tolerant” nation, why is it so hard for other evolutionists to admit that evolution is, in fact, a religion?

Tara J. Sutfinjunior nursing