Being a role model may be difficult for a guy like Charles Barkley, but not for someone like Jesse Owens.

Even after his death more than 22 years ago, Owens’ memory lives on inside the minds of many.

“He is probably one of the most famous athletes in the world,” said Russ Rogers, OSU’s track and field coach. “No matter where you go, people know him or know of him.”

Rogers grew up in metropolitan New York idolizing Jackie Robinson, the Brooklyn Dodgers outfielder who broke baseball’s color barrier. He considers Owens’ achievements to have similar importance.

“Jackie Robinson was more of my hero since I got to see him compete when I was a kid. As I grew older, I realized the impact that Jesse Owens had on the world,” Rogers said.

Owens set three world records and tied another in the span of about 70 minutes on May 25, 1935, in Ann Arbor, Mich. One year later, he competed in the Olympics in Germany. Owens became the first American in the history of Olympic track and field to win four gold medals in a single Olympic Games.

“At the time when he won the Olympics, Hitler had an attitude against the world that Germans were superior,” Rogers said. “I think he turned the whole tide there by proving that no nation nor race is better than another.”

Rogers never got to see Owens compete, but did get the opportunity to meet him. Rogers also became close to Owens’ family.

“He’s got three daughters who come to OSU every year. I got to know his wife really well too,” Rogers said. “It seems like they are part of my family because I intermingle with them so often.”

Owens treated everybody equally and especially loved children, Rogers said.

“He spent a lot of time after competition dealing with kids. He had the right personality, the right smile, and people just tended to like him. He was a very approachable guy,” Rogers said.

One kid Owens’ affected was Archie Griffin, the only two-time Heisman winner. Griffin met Owens when he was in the ninth grade.

“I will never forget that because I just couldn’t imagine meeting Jesse Owens. I heard all the stories about him, and that opportunity to meet him was tremendous,” Griffin said.

Track was a big part of Griffin’s life growing up. Owens was, and still is, the name associated with track and field, Griffin said.

“You thought about Jesse Owens and his accomplishments and what he did during the Olympic games in ’36,” Griffin said. “You always thought, ‘I wonder how fast he would be if he was running on the tracks that guys are running on now.’ “

Owens was named the OSU Male Athlete of the Century by the Columbus Touchdown Club in January. Griffin said the award was well deserved.

“I don’t think anybody comes close to that because what he did was absolutely incredible. He was a hero for me, no question about it,” Griffin said.

Griffin said Owens’ generosity was evident in everything he did, even when recruiting potential OSU athletes.

“At a time when the NCAA allowed alumni to talk to recruits, Jesse would do that for us at Ohio State,” he said. “Woody (Hayes) would call Jesse and get him to talk to football players being recruited. Jesse was very generous and loved Ohio State.”

Owens’ generosity doesn’t stop at recruiting players. Claire Gooding, a junior in communications, is one of 40 Jesse Owens Foundation Scholars. Gooding received a scholarship from Owens’ foundation after graduating high school in 1999.

“I applied for the scholarship because I was very involved in track and field, very passionate about it,” Gooding said. “… Jesse Owens was such an icon for the sport and in so many other ways than just as an athlete.”

Gooding said the scholarship is not only based on athletic ability, but also on academics, leadership and community service.

“I am absolutely honored the foundation chose me as a recipient,” she said. “It’s wonderful that his foundation is giving me the opportunity to be as successful as I can be.”

Gooding met Owens’ family last year at the Jesse Owens Classic, an annual track and field event held at OSU.

“It was so nice to see the people behind the scenes, and have a chance to meet some of Jesse’s family. They were very gracious, wonderful and giving people that want to help,” Gooding said.

Gooding suffered an injury her senior year of high school and no longer participates competitively. She plans to attend the Moritz College of Law after graduating next June.

OSU will play host to the 17th annual Jesse Owens Track Classic at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium Sunday. Competition begins at 9 a.m. with featured events starting at 1 p.m.