The Ohio State Buckeyes overcame another poor performance on the road Saturday night to defeat the Northwestern Wildcats and to improve to 6-0 for the first time since 1998.

Despite playing to the level of their 2-3 opponent , OSU managed to leave Evanston with the all-important 27-16 victory.

Early in the first quarter the Buckeyes found themselves in a hole that has accompanied them away from home this season.

After holding the Wildcats to only 14 yards on their first two possessions, OSU took over for their second offensive series. Following a run for six yards, a normally sure-handed Maurice Clarett was hit and fumbled on the Buckeye 45 yard-line allowing Northwestern to gain control in Ohio State territory. NU still struggled to establish anything on offense and was forced to punt the ball away.

“I had a poor practice week, this week,” Clarett said. “My focus wasn’t on the game, I thought I was just goin to come out and run like I have been running.”

Starting from their own three yard-line the Buckeyes gave the Wildcats another opportunity to strike first. A timely Northwestern defense pounced on OSU’s second turnover, this time near the goaline. It was Clarett who coughed up the ball for the second time, on only his fifth carry of the game.

“We have got to be better on the road,” said OSU football coach Jim Tressel. “There are certain things you have to do on the road and we have not done those yet.”

NU was finally able to capitalize on the Buckeye blunder, but was forced to settle for a 26-yard David Wasielewski field goal at 7:25 of the first quarter.

Trailing 3-0 OSU switched to Lydell Ross at tailback. The Buckeyes managed to drive down to the Wildcat 26 yard-line, but were stopped short on a fourth and two situation giving the ball back to NU.

“I think we were a little helter-skelter all evening,” said tight end BenHartsock. “Some things were working, but I think Northwestern just came out and had a great game plan put together for us.”

Led by quarterback Brett Basanez, and the signature Wildcat hurry-up offense, the home team moved all-the-way down to the OSU 11 yard-line before being held to another Wasielewski field goal. NU’s 10 play, 64 yard drive gave them a 6-0 first quarter lead.

OSU’s offense finally began to click on their next offensive possession.Quarterback Craig Krenzel found receivers Michael Jenkins and Chris Vance on mulptiple plays. In addition, OSU’s quarterback enjoyed success while calling his own number and running. The Buckeyes drove down to the Wildcat three yard-line to set up Ross for the touchdown scamper, giving OSU a 7-6 edge early in the second quarter.

NU continued to put the pressure on near the end of the half. Wide receiver Kunle Patrick returned an Andy Groom punt down to the OSU nine yard-line, but a unecessary roughness penalty negated the play for the Wildcats pushing them back to their own 43 yard-line. Next a controversial call by the officials, ruling incomplete what appeared to be a completed touchdown pass for NU, kept the home team out of the endzone once again. The Wildcats did convert the field goal to take a 9-6 advantage.

“It was real critical when they made some big stops along the goaline,” said NU football coach Randy Walker. “We had a lot of opportunities to make plays, but we didn’t make them.”

On OSU’s next offensive touch, Krenzel connected with wide receiver Chris Gamble over-the-middle for 48 yards. The Buckeyes then turned back to Clarett for the time being. The freshman ran four times from NU’s 15 yard-line, finally reaching the endzone from two yards out. OSU’s 5 play, 63 yard drive gave them a 14-9 lead with little to play but the Wildcats did not go away for the half.

NU reached the Buckeye red-zone but was again denied a touchdown after misfiring on third-and-goal. Wasielewski lined up for a 19-yard chip shot, but missed wide right failing to bring the Wildcats closer at the end of the first half.

“We have to be ready right off the bat in the first half,” said Ross. “We just need good preparation skills.”

OSU opened the third quarter with a 55-yard kick return from Gamble, to the NU 45 yard-line. The Buckeyes followed up the effort as kicker Mike Nugent converted from 41 yards out to give the visiting squad a 17-9 lead with 12:17 remaining. It was Nugent’s 12th straight made field goal, dating back to last season.

OSU slowly started to show signs worthy of their No. 5 national ranking on their next possession.

Returning to the running game, both Clarett and Ross helped the Buckeyes march down the field. Clarett capped off the 11 play, 79 yard drive with a 20 yard gallop over the right end, improving OSU’s lead to 24-9.

“It is a multiple look for the defense,” Ross said of his and Clarett’s styles of running. “Two different styles – that is always good to have when going up against a team like Northwestern.”

On the following series, the Buckeyes appeared to take a step in the wrong direction. Instead of shutting down the Wildcat attack, OSU could not take control of the underdog. NU marched 80 yards in nine plays while baffling the Buckeye’s secondary.

Tailback Jason Wright, who returned a kickoff deep into OSU territory earlier in the quarter, finished the drive for his team running nine yards for a touchdown. OSU’s lead was cut to 24-16 with 1:57 to play in the third quarter.

The Wildcats were unable to capitalize on Wright’s previous run when Wasielewski missed his second field goal.

In the fourth quarter both sides fell victim to careless mistakes.

Though the Buckeyes were able to add a field goal with 11:28 remaining, another turnover marred the offense’s late-game effort.

Clarett who finished the night pounding his way to 140 yards on 29 carries, uncharacteristiclly fumbled for third time in the fourth quarter.

“All of the fumbles really hurt because they were all turnovers,” said Clarett. “It was all on me, I just didn’t have great ball security.” NU welcomed their chance to climb back in the game and continued to move the ball on the OSU defense.

However, after reaching the Buckeye’s 25 yard-line, Basanez and the Wildcats succumbed to the turnover “bug” as well. The NU quarterback, unaware of lurking linebacker Cie Grant, threw his pass directly into the defender’s hands ending the offensive threat.

The Wildcat offense which amassed an impressive 396 total yards, had another opportunity to make a last minute comeback. While driving into Buckeye territory Basanez found his receiver over the middle for a positive grain, but OSU’s Matt Wilhelm reacted quick to strip the NU receiver allowing safety Donnie Nickey to recover the fumble, and clinch the 27-16 win for the Buckeyes.

“There is no way we will win our next away game if we keep making some of the mistakes we made today,” Tressel said.