An accomplished South African dancer and choreographer is stirring up a melting pot of cross-cultural, contemporary and traditional dance this week at the Wexner Center.

Vincent Mantsoe is one of South Africa’s most prominent dancers and choreographers. He will be performing a solo program in the Wexner Center’s Performance Space.

Mantsoe is one of the first contemporary dancers to come out of South Africa. He has performed for such leaders as Nelson Mandela, Helmut Kohl of Germany and Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands, and he has still found the time to come to Ohio State.

“Wexner Center has a strong reputation internationally,” said Charles Helm, director of performing arts at the Wexner Center. “Vincent was aware of this reputation from other performers that have visited here. He eagerly accepted.”

Mantsoe’s performance at OSU will be his local debut. He rarely tours the United States.

“This performance is an example of what makes the Wexner Center and Ohio State a real dance hub in the city and region,” said Karen Simonian, spokeswoman for the Wexner Center.

Simonian said tickets for this show are expected to go quickly because solo dance performances in the Wexner Center are popular.

“It is a very intimate experience,” Simonian said. “You are literally feet away from the dancer.”

Helm said the show is highly anticipated among dance students.

“This will provide students with a global perspective on dance,” Helm said.

Mantsoe, 32, was born in Johannesburg. In the past, apartheid in South Africa had prevented many performers from touring internationally. He was among the first generation that has had the opportunity to show its talents to other parts of the world.

In his choreography, Mantsoe combines elements of Asian, European and African dance, a style he refers to as “Afrofusion.”

“He is a very dynamic performer, with a very strong physical performance,” Helm said.

Mantsoe will perform three works that he has choreographed himself: the award-winning Barena (which means “Chiefs”), Motswa Hole (Person from Far Away), and Phokwane (a combination of his parents’ names).

The show also offers a diverse range of music from traditional to contemporary.

In addition to his performance, Mantsoe will be present at a masterclass for dance majors tomorrow.

Michael Kelly Bruce, interim chair of the dance department, said students are very excited for Mantsoe’s class.

“It is a great opportunity for us to have professionals from around the world visit us as their career is developing,” Bruce said.

He said the dancers are well-prepared for someone to come in. The Wexner Center frequently has its artists work with the students.

“Guest artists are not brand new, but not in the students’ regular diet,” Bruce said, “It will be good to expose them to his way of teaching.”

Jenney Springer, a junior in criminology, will not be attending the masterclass but will see Mantsoe perform at the Wexner as part of her hip-hop dance class requirement.

“I’m looking forward to seeing this type of dance that I haven’t been exposed to before,” Springer said.

Mantsoe will perform at 8 p.m. Oct. 3-5 and at 6 p.m. Oct. 6.

For tickets contact the Wexner Center Ticket Office at 292-3535 or Ticketmaster at 431-3600. Tickets are $16 for general public, $14 for members and $10 for Ohio State students.