The latest exhibit at the Columbus Cultural Arts Center gives central Ohio a glimpse into contemporary Irish culture.

Mandrake, an exhibition of Irish multicultural art, is presented by the Geronimo Arts Society and features works by four nationally diverse artists. Gerard Dowling, Shane Bainbridge, Elisabetta McBett Jacomini and Augusto Macola Vonga came together to use their art to represent Ireland’s fast-growing cultural diversity.

“All of the work displayed is so diverse,” said Elva Griffith, organizer of the exhibit and a library associate at Ohio State. “The diversity has a way of bringing the exhibit together so well.”

Griffith met Dowling while on vacation in Dublin three years ago. Together, the two came up with a plan to put together exhibits of his work to display in the United States.

“There were times when I wasn’t sure if it would happen,” Griffith said. “When it all finally came together, it was magical. It’s like it was meant to be.”

The other three artists were included after meeting and working together with Dowling in his Dublin-based studio. Griffith described each artist as having a different and authentic style in how they approach and produce their work.

“All of the work is so interesting because most artists don’t work in the manner that these artists do,” Griffith said.

Dowling, who founded the Geronimo Arts Society, delves into the world of sculpture, but instead of using traditional materials like stone or clay, he works with items salvaged from rivers and trash heaps. Dowling’s pieces reflect his spiritual side, such as “The Seven Deadly Sins,” and represent his Dublin heritage, as “The Chess Board” does.

Bainbridge, an American artist who primarily focuses on painting, adds a traditional climate to the exhibit. His abstract images, however, maintain his own original style.

Jacomini, an Italian artist, is using the exhibit to display her sculptures. Two of her pieces are based on characters from Irish literature, including Jonathan Swift’s Gulliver and Samuel Beckett’s Murphy.

Vonga, a mosaic artist from Angola who also works with wood and metal sculptures, adds to the diversity with his African folklore-inspired mosaics. His experience in Ireland began when he was a guest artist at the first Exhibition of African Arts, Textiles and Crafts.

The Mandrake exhibit is a collection that strays from what has become standard in various galleries. Jen Robinson, director of the Columbus Cultural Arts Center, said the Columbus area hasn’t seen an exhibit like the Mandrake exhibit in a long time.

“We hope that people will see art that isn’t so mainstream and unoriginal,” Griffith said. “We want to show people that Ireland isn’t what it used to be.”

The exhibit is displayed at the Columbus Cultural Arts Center, located at 139 W. Main St., and will run through Feb. 9. All of the art work is for sale with the exception of Dowling’s pieces. Gallery hours are Monday through Friday 9 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. and 7 p.m. – 9:30 p.m., and Saturday through Sunday 1 p.m. – 4 p.m. Admission is free.