The Ohio State Community Ambassadors will attempt to create off-campus solidarity through a yard game tournament this weekend.

The May Madness Cornhole Tournament will begin tomorrow at noon when teams arrive at the homes of Community Ambassadors.

The Community Ambassadors program was initiated in the off-campus area to create ways for students to feel a sense of belonging even when not living in the residence halls.

“The goal of the Community Ambassador program is to foster a sense of community and pride among students in the off-campus area,” said Irene Meder, West Norwich community ambassador.

The game of cornhole originated near Cincinnati and has spread throughout the state. The game consists of two cornhole boxes referred to as the boards, which measure two feet by four feet and gradually slope upward. The back is several inches taller than the front. An opening the size of a grapefruit is cut toward the back of the box. The goal of the game is to toss several six-inch square beanbags through the hole in the board from a distance.

Teams of two compete with four beanbags per person on each side and toss them to the opposing boards. The first team to reach 21 points wins. A hole-in-one is worth three points; if a beanbag lands on the board it is worth one point. It is possible to cancel out opponent’s points by earning the same amount of points in a single turn.

The game has gained great popularity at OSU, which is why the Community Ambassadors are promoting it to build a sense of community.

“I think that cornhole is so popular because it is a really fun, competitive game that just about anyone can play,” Meder said. “It is also very social and it can be played outside, allowing players to get out and enjoy the weather.”

Josh Benson, a junior in agriculture construction sytems management, plays cornhole for various reasons.

“I play cornhole because it’s easy, it’s cheaper than going to the bars and it’s a great way to socialize,” Benson said.

Sean McLaughlin, assistant director of Off-Campus Student Services, said Community Ambassadors are also providing prizes to those who win both the street games and to the overall winners.

“Street winners will get a free pizza, and the overall winners will get a $500 gift certificate to Easton,” McLaughlin said. “A $50 gift certificate will go to the runner-up and everyone gets a free T-shirt, too.”

The teams in the tournament will represent a street that has a Community Ambassador. If a team represents a street that does not have an ambassador, it will be placed into a bracket of a nearby street.