Delta Lambda Phi has officially joined the ranks of those that can be deemed full fraternities by both the National Board and Ohio State. The organization, which received its charter, said it is excited to provide a greek organization for gay and bisexual young men at OSU.

“I think we provide a more supportive environment for gay and bisexual men who might feel at odds about joining another greek organization for fear of harassment,” said Garth Wall, president of Delta Lambda Phi.

Wall, a sophomore in biology, has been involved with Delta Lambda Phi since January of 2003. He has also worked for this charter since its colonization in May of 2003.

“A lot of hard work went into getting our charter,” Wall said.

Some of the work consisted of three new member classes, including a founding class. The group also had to show it could meet the requirements of both the national organization and OSU Greek Life.

“It was very much a learning experience,” Wall said.

OSU Greek Life is also excited about the inclusion of this fraternity at the university.

“Delta Lambda Phi has become very active within the community and especially within the newly formed Multicultural Greek Council. They have been an integral part in creating the foundation of this new council,” said Steffani Pealer, senior coordinator of Greek Life.

Pealer also feels the fraternity has a lot to add to the OSU Greek Life experience.

“(The fraternity) will add diversity and inclusiveness. They are a group of dynamic men who believe in the well-being of all individuals. They have the passion to make the fraternity experience for their members and future members to be life-changing,” Pealer said. “Any individual interested in this fraternity would find a group of men striving to achieve excellence in all they do and to become better men throughout the process.”

There have been many people involved to make sure Delta Lambda Phi received its charter this spring. One of those people is Timothy Ortyl, a senior in political science and sociology, and the vice president and sergeant-at-arms of Delta Lambda Phi.

“I feel a great sense of relief and accomplishment. Making sure that we received our charter this spring has been one of the top priorities in my life for the past year, and we all worked very hard to ensure it happened,” Ortyl said.

The fraternity said it hopes to be pillars in both the OSU and Columbus communities for acceptance and brotherhood.

“We have done some community service work with the Columbus AIDS Task Force and the Human Rights Campaign, and we look forward to working more closely with both of them in the future,” Ortyl said.

While some may believe Delta Lambda Phi to be only a gay and bisexual fraternity, Wall said any and all are welcome to join.

“Progressive-minded heterosexual men are also welcome in our organization and encouraged to join,” Wall said.

For further information regarding Delta Lambda Phi, contact Wall at [email protected].