Baseball fans might have noticed yesterday that several players throughout the league, from Ken Griffey Jr. to the entire Los Angeles Dodgers, were wearing No. 42 on their uniforms. They were wearing the number to honor the 60th anniversary of Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier in Major League Baseball by signing with the Brooklyn Dodgers. Eleven weeks after Robinson’s debut, the Cleveland Indians made Larry Doby the first black player in the American League.

Ten years ago, baseball commissioner Bud Selig decided to retire Robinson’s number from use throughout the league in honor of his feat. In recent weeks, much has been made of the commissioner’s decision to reinstate the number for Jackie Robinson Day. Reactions have ranged from seeing the action as a good way to commemorate Robinson’s accomplishment to seeing it as nothing more than a publicity stunt that does little to honor the player and his legacy.

The Lantern falls somewhere in between. Although it is undeniably a good thing for players to acknowledge Robinson as a pioneer who helped open the doors for countless players, we would like to see the action not repeated in the future. If it were to become an annual event, or even something that happens every 10 years, the occasion would soon become nothing more than a novelty and lose its significance. On the 50th anniversary of Robinson’s debut, Selig retired the number. Ten years later, players wore the number one last time. After yesterday, we would like to see Robinson’s number permanently retired and remain the only jersey never worn in the league.

It is important to note that the players wearing Robinson’s number were a diverse group of black, Latino, white and Asian players. That those from any background can recognize Robinson’s accomplishment and respect the importance of the day shows a societal progress often overlooked. It shows a solidarity among men who share a team, profession and history that has been a part of America’s identity for more than a century.

In remembering Robinson’s accomplishment we also remember the time before his debut. If baseball had not opened itself up to more diverse players, 755 would be just a number, “The Say Hey Kid” would never have roamed center field and last year’s National League Most Valuable Player would have been Lance Berkman. The quality of the game has improved with integration, as has the quality of life.