Pushed to the edge of the downtown sidewalk by police on horseback, a woman passes out flyers with information about violence in Israel.

“What side are you on?” asked a man brandishing a cardboard sign, which read “To curse Israel is to curse God.”

After picking up and glancing at one of the flyers, he nonchalantly dropped it on the ground at the feet of the masses protesting the United States’ support of Israel, and walked away.

The Committee of Justice in Palestine and the Committee for American-Islamic Relations hosted the Gaza political rally on the front steps of the Ohio Statehouse, Monday. The rally follows the recent deaths of almost 400 people in Gaza after a series of Israeli air strikes. The two organizations hosting the rally say the Israelis are violating humanitarian law by starving and imprisoning civilians and deliberately attacking civilians.

The emcee of the event, Pranav Jani, led cheers of “Free Palestine” and ” Stop the killing stop the crime.” Speakers, ranging from a young Palestinian boy reading poetry to students to directors of organizations, spoke out against the use of American tax dollars to support Israel in what they say is the “ethnic cleansing” of Palestinians.

“Since 2006, 80 percent [of people in Gaza have been in poverty,” said Jani, who is also an assistant professor in English at Ohio State, at the rally. “On top of this, now there is war.”

Gaza has been under siege for the past 18 month, according to a statement by the organizations. During this time, the United States has granted Israel $3.2 billion in aid, annually.

Jani and others rally protestors to appeal to the government, and inform communities about the violence.

“Without U.S. funding, Israel cannot commit these atrocities,” Jani said.

Allison Weir, the director of If Americans Knew, shares Jani’s sentiments.

Weir traveled from Oregon to speak at the event.

“I’m not used to rallies,” she said. “I normally speak at lectures.”

Nonetheless her speech elicited cries of “truth” from the crowd.

“We are here today to remind everyone that Americans have the power to bring peace to Israel Palestine because its our tax dollars,” Weir said. “Even in a recession, most of our tax dollars go to a tiny country the size of Vermont.”

She said far more Palestinians are killed in the violence than Israelis, as unequipped Palestinians fight the fourth most powerful army in the world.

It is this difference in military strength that often leaves the Palestinians with nothing but rocks and sticks as weapons.

“We are the lovers of liberty and freedom,” said Columbus State student Mazen Abdelrasoul, during his speech. “We will give our lives. This is why we stand in front of tanks and throw rocks.”

Abdelrasoul said he has witnessed many of these horrors in his hometown in the West Bank, where he lived until August.

“What is happening in Gaza is much, much worse,” he said. “People in Gaza are family. We share the same struggle.”

Abdelrasoul said he is shocked by how few Americans know about the struggle and the money the U.S. contributes.

“Most Americans don’t know anything,” he said. “I am surprised [news channels] don’t say anything. All people know is what the government tells them.”

Although Abdelrasoul has his doubts that the American government will help Palestine, he said he hopes the new president will reduce support for Israel. But even without support, he is confident that Palestine will succeed.

“In the end, only justice will win.”

Everdeen Mason can be reached at [email protected].