Adam Homan was excited to be a Buckeye.

Homan, the younger brother of current Ohio State linebacker Ross Homan, verbally committed to Ohio State in December 2007, just a week after being offered a scholarship by the Buckeyes.

“Ohio State was always the number one school for me,” Homan said. “I’ve always been a true Ohio State fan.”

Adam has already enrolled at OSU, and will be with the team for spring practice.

“The transition from high school to college has been extremely smooth,” Homan said. “I am really enjoying the campus and the jump I am getting on academics as well as football.”

Homan was rated the No. 10 fullback in the nation and the No. 34 player in Ohio by rivals.com. With fullbacks often charged to take on linebackers, Adam may be running into a familiar face this spring.

“I don’t expect [Ross] to take it easy on me now that I’m here,” Homan said. “Nor would he expect me to be intimidated to go up against him.”

With the graduation of Brandon Smith, the starting fullback for the Buckeyes last season, playing time will be available in the backfield.

“How [Adam] performs in spring and fall practice may determine playing time,” said Kevin Noon, publisher of Buckeyegrove.com. “He might be one of those players that will be a week-to-week redshirt.”

Despite carrying the ball 36 times as a senior at Coldwater High School, Homan doesn’t think he needs to touch the ball to contribute.

“I feel like I can contribute however the team may need me to,” Homan said. “Whether that means touching the ball a few times a game or a few times in a season, the team has to come first.”

The opportunity to watch Ross play for Ohio State has taught Adam a great deal about what it means to play for the Buckeyes.

“I’ve learned what an honor and privilege it is to play at Ohio State,” he said. “There are difficult parts to playing at Ohio State with added pressure and such, but the rewards for playing here are well worth the work you put into it.”

The first opportunity to practice as a Buckeye won’t come until spring, but Homan is already trying to find a routine at OSU.

“I’m just taking it step by step to learn the system and become comfortable with the surroundings and routine around here,” he said.

Running into the Horseshoe next fall will be the culmination of a lifetime of work for Homan.

“Words can’t describe what it will feel like,” he said. “Being a Buckeye is something I cherish deeply.”

Mark Stetson can be reached at [email protected].