C.J. Barnett didn’t have a press conference on signing day.

In fact, he made his choice nearly a year before the bright lights and heavy coverage, verbally committing to Ohio State in February 2008. Barnett knew early on that he wanted to be a Buckeye.

“I chose Ohio State because it was a great overall place to be, I like the environment,” he said. “I wanted to get the decision out of the way so I could focus on having fun my senior year in high school.”

Barnett, a cornerback from Northmont high school in Clayton, Ohio, joined 24 other football prospects in signing with the Buckeyes. Despite being ranked the No. 13 defensive back in the nation and the No. 5 best player in Ohio by Rivals.com, Barnett flew under the radar during the recruiting process.

Photo by Darlene Parente from www.loveitphotos.com.DARLENE PARENTE/WWW.LOVEITPHOTOS.COM
“He has a lot of ability,” said Kevin Noon, Managoing editor of ohiostate.rivals.com. “He seems to almost be a forgotten man; I think that’s a mistake.”

At six feet one inch, Barnett fits the traditional mold of a safety rather than a cornerback. Though he doesn’t expect to change positions, C.J. will do whatever the coaching staff asks of him.

“It doesn’t matter to me,” he said. “I’m up for anything.”

Barnett will join fellow Northmont alumnus Kurt Coleman, a senior-to-be safety for the Buckeyes, in the defensive backfield. Northmont coach Lance Schneider had the opportunity to watch both players develop.

“C.J. can hit, but not like Kurt,” he said. “Kurt can cover, but not like C.J.”

Ohio State’s history of producing defensive backs who go on to play in the NFL appealed to Barnett.

“All those guys are great,” he said. “That was another factor; I plan on playing at the next level.”

With the departure of cornerbacks Malcolm Jenkins and Donald Washington, there will be more playing time available this fall.

“I expect to contribute as soon as I get there,” Barnett said. “That’s my goal.”

C.J. finished high school with a 3.97 grade point average, drawing scholarship offers from Stanford, Cincinnati, Michigan and Miami (Florida). Schneider says Barnett’s personality will help him fit in with his new teammates.

“With his intellect and communication skills, he will be a tremendous leader in the locker room,” he said. “Everyone will get to know him quickly.”

As part of a recruiting class that has been rated as high as No. 1 in the nation by some analysts, Barnett knows the potential for great things is there.

“Oh yeah,” he said. “We’ll have a great chance to win a national title.”

Barnett will enroll at Ohio State in March and will be with the team for spring practice.

Mark Stetson can be reached at [email protected].