Following a non-conference schedule that included nine ranked opponents, the Ohio State women’s tennis team is returning home to open Big Ten play.

The No. 36 Buckeyes (5-5, 0-0) will begin the stretch toward the NCAA tournament on Saturday when they host Penn State at 5 p.m. at the Ohio State Varsity Tennis Center.

The non-conference schedule should give the Buckeyes an idea of what to expect from conference play, with eight of the league’s 11 teams being ranked.

“I feel like we’re a tougher team because of the schedule,” coach Chuck Merzbacher said. “There is no one we should really be afraid of.”

The undisputed favorite going into the Big Ten season are the Northwestern Wildcats, who have won the conference 10 consecutive years and hold the No. 1 ranking in the country.

“They really have no weaknesses, and if you do, you’re starting down one or two points,” Merzbacher said.

OSU’s only meeting with Northwestern this season will come on April 18 in Evanston, Ill.

“This year we have proven that we can play with the top teams in the country,” Merzbacher said. “We know we have enough talent to battle them at every spot.”

No. 18 Michigan will come into Big Ten play as the second-highest ranked team in the league. The Buckeyes will host the Wolverines in Columbus April 3.

“Every sport at Ohio State wants to beat Michigan, that’s part of being a Buckeye,” Merzbacher said. “It’s a huge rivalry for us.”

Illinois, Indiana, Michigan State, Minnesota and Wisconsin will also enter Big Ten play as ranked teams.

“I think the depth in the Big Ten is as good as it has ever been,” Merzbacher said. “I think the league is great.”

Ranked No. 36, the Buckeyes will need to perform well during Big Ten play in order to qualify for the 64-team NCAA Tournament in May.

“You really want to be in that top 35 to know that you are in,” Merzbacher said.

Aside from rankings and qualifying for the tournament, Merzbacher says Big Ten matches just mean more.

“Those are your peers, those are the teams you are competing against in recruiting,” he said. “The rivalries are there. It just means more because it’s conference play and everyone wants to do well in the conference.”

Mark Stetson can be reached at [email protected].