“Warning, genocide photos ahead” signs might not be enough notice for some students.

The Genocide Awareness Project has returned to Ohio State with its exhibition showcasing images of aborted embryos and fetuses on display on campus. The GAP exhibit, founded by the Center for Bio-Ethical Reform, was set up Monday and continued until 4 p.m. Wednesday near University Hall.

In the exhibit, images show aborted embryos and fetuses in various stages of growth. They are then compared to dimes and quarters to demonstrate the size of the embryo when it is aborted. The exhibit also shows pictures of abortion in comparison to historical and contemporary genocide. Posters include an “AL QAEDA-TALIBAN” poster representing the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, a poster of a racial lynching and a poster of Holocaust victims. Another poster states that pregnant women have only three options: parent the child, place the child up for adoption or pitch it in the trash.

Kay Chapman, a sophomore in nursing, is the co-president of the Pro-Life Club at OSU, which sponsored the project.

“CBR exposes these compelling images to us in an effort to show the relationship between genocides throughout history and abortion today,” Chapman said in an e-mail. “These pictures make it clear to others that abortion is a horrific act of violence comparable to any crime against humanity.”

Jessica Roeder, right, a freshman in engineering physics, and Seth Thomas, left, a fourth-year in architecture, receive information from students in support of abortion rights on the opposite corner of the anti-abortion posters Tuesday afternoon.Photo by Andy Gottesman.ANDY GOTTESMAN/THE LANTERNJessica Roeder, right, a freshman in engineering physics, and Seth Thomas, left, a fourth-year in architecture, receive information from students in support of abortion rights on the opposite corner of the anti-abortion posters Tuesday afternoon.

She said the exhibit is not intended to offend anyone, but instead aims to make students more aware of the “harsh reality of abortion.” She also said the project hopes to encourage students to think more critically and analytically when it comes to abortion.

“We hope that students will not only discover the sad truth about abortion, but also feel inspired to take action in making abortion illegal,” Chapman said.

When asked why she thinks abortion should not be tolerated, she said it destroys innocent humans.

“Life begins at the moment of conception. Body size, level of development, environment and dependency are the only factors that change up until birth,” she said. “What many fail to realize is that after birth, these factors are what change children into adults.”

According to abortionno.org, CBR was founded in July of 1990 as a privately funded, nonprofit educational corporation. The Web site said that CBR “operates on the principle that abortion represents an evil so inexpressible that words fail us when attempting to describe its horror. Until abortion is seen, it will never be understood.”

Mark Harrington is the executive director of the Midwest region of CBR. As part of the project, Harrington speaks at universities, seminars and discussions across the nation teaching others to think and act with a biblical worldview on topics such as abortion. This is his fifth time visiting the university.

“Our main goal is to raise awareness of this genocide taking place in our country and Ohio State is one of the largest universities in the nation representing our target audience,” Harrington said. “The pictures are provocative for a reason and are juxtaposed next to images of murdered Jews and Rwanda victims because abortion is the polar opposite of life.”

Harrington said that he has received a lot of support from passing students. He also said that it is important for younger generations to be educated on the subject in order to fight against the war that he believes the Obama Administration is waging.

“He is the most pro-abortion president in the history of the United States,” Harrington said. “With the new Obama administration waging wars on the unborn like never before, it is even more important to educate this generation about life issues. They are the ones who will be in a position to reverse the culture of death.”

Across the street from the GAP display, other groups gathered in opposition. Vox: Voices for Planned Parenthood at OSU, as well as Women & Allies Rising in Resistance, pass out free condoms, collect signatures in opposition of GAP and display signs proclaiming the right to choose.

Ellen Weissfeld, a sophomore in political science, is the co-president of Vox.

“We … find the tactics used by GAP to be aggressive, unsettling, and intimidating,” she said in an e-mail. “We feel that hostile images, language, and strategies used by GAP are inappropriate for an educated and sensible university.”

Weissfeld said that the genocide comparison is deceptive to students.

“We believe that GAP’s comparison between abortion and genocide is dangerous and misleading, and that this comparison leads to an unsafe and antagonistic environment.”

According to voxosu.org, the OSU chapter was formed in 2002 to educate the university community about reproductive health and rights.

Weissfeld said that this is an unfortunate opportunity to get a positive message out about safe and informed sex. She also said that GAP’s intended purpose will have an opposite effect on student’s and the OSU community.

“We consider the display to incite hatred and persecution of women who have abortions and medical professionals who provide them,” she said. “We also feel that GAP demeans the memory of genocide victims by reducing their struggle to something that can be compared to a simple and common medical procedure. We petition the Ohio State University to refuse to allow GAP to intimidate the university community with such dangerous propaganda.”

Mike Hsieh, a senior in psychology, said he has visited both displays to learn about each issue. After engaging in conversation with CBR employees and GAP supporters, he said he found their arguments to be incomplete.

“I wanted to educate myself on this social issue and maintain an objective viewpoint,” he said. “But I don’t think Obama is pro-abortion at all and they shouldn’t try forcing their biblical ideals on others.”

Hsieh said that if students have learned anything from the displays, it is to be open-minded and impartial.

“Students should understand both sides of the argument and consider all factors carefully,” he said. “I think this is a great time for students to engage in peaceful dialogue with one another.”

Mariam Khan can be reached at [email protected].