For the first time since 1993, the women’s soccer Big Ten championship will not be decided with a post-season tournament.

The change, which puts emphasis exclusively on a team’s regular season performance, makes Ohio State’s games at Wisconsin and at Minnesota this weekend all the more important.

In the past, the league has had two titles, crowning both a regular season and a tournament champion. Now, the conference championship, as well as an automatic berth to the NCAA tournament, will be decided solely on the regular season standings.

The elimination of the league’s post-season tournament has brought a noticeable change to the pressure brought on by each game, coach Lori Walker said.

“You’re in an ‘every game matters’ scenario right from the beginning,” Walker said. “In the past, there were a few games where you just stay on task … you could always make that one last push using the tournament, and we don’t have that anymore.”

Walker, who has always been a supporter of a conference tournament, said its single-elimination style was valuable practice for her team. The tournament represented a chance, the coach said, for her team to prepare for the pressures of playing in the NCAA championship at the end of the season.

Junior midfielder Courtney Jenkins said the pressure is still there, it is just a little different.

“Each game is a big game,” Jenkins said. “It’s always a battle, and without having the tournament at the end of the year, you can’t wait until the end to prove yourself.”

Coming off of last weekend’s victories, OSU is looking to move up the Big Ten ladder this weekend. They currently sit third in the conference, behind their next two opponents, and begin the road trip Friday night to Madison to face the Badgers.

The game is one of three consecutive road games for the Buckeyes. It is their longest stint away from Columbus this season. The biggest struggle of playing on the road comes in the team’s energy level, Walker said.

“When you’re playing in the [Jessie Owens Memorial Stadium] and all of your friends and family is there, it can be really easy to elevate your excitement and your passion from the get-go,” Walker said. “When you’re on the road it’s got to come from the inside.”

Jenkins said the team is aware of how difficult the weekend will be.

“Both Minnesota and Wisconsin are going to be tough,” Jenkins said. “But I think we’ll get some good preparation this week and we’ll be ready for it.”