The Arts Initiative at Ohio State is a year-old organization that aims to advance the arts in the OSU community. It is also a university-wide effort to make OSU a national leader in arts education, according to its Web site.

One of the first actions the Arts Initiative took was to send a group of teachers to England.

“The College of Arts collaborated with Royal Shakespeare Company, sending about 20 teachers to England to learn not only about theater techniques but almost everything ranging from drama to music, and the teachers take what they have learned back to central Ohio,” said Victoria Ellwood, spokeswoman for the Arts Initiative. “Some teachers said they have learned a wide range of things and would never teach the same way again.”

The Arts Initiative held the event, Building Ensemble with Ohio Teachers, Thursday.

Karen Bell, associate vice president for the Arts Initiative, moderated a panel discussion and opened conversations with representatives from the U.K.’s Royal Shakespeare Company, OSU and other local schools.
Panel members included Jacqui O’Hanlon, director of education for the RSC and David Rubin, actor from RSC, along with Brian Edmiston, associate professor at OSU, and Amy McKibben, middle school teacher from Reynoldsburg.

The Arts Initiative and South Campus Gateway announced a new program, Arts in the Alley, two months ago. Arts in the Alley is a forward-thinking collaboration dedicated to create a vibrant and open community for learning and sharing the arts.

The new arts community had its grand opening last month. It attracted big crowds, lots of activities and new partners, including the Ohio Arts League and Couchfire Collective.

“Our next initiative is to work with local artists,” Ellwood said. The opening of the Shoebox, home to three groups of emerging artists, seemed to prove that.

JamJam Productions is one artist group. Tap dancer Jenai Cutcher is offering workshops, performances and more every Wednesday at the Gateway on High Street at 10th Avenue. Ellwood said groups of dancers are gathering together on that day every week to observe and learn.

“We are excited that emerging young artists join the Arts in the Alley,” Ellwood said. “By providing them with exhibition and performance space, Arts in the Alley could help them compose a life, while at the same time increasing the energy and activity in the Gateway alley.”

The Arts Initiative office is in the South Campus Gateway complex at 1568 N. High Street. For more information and upcoming events, please visit osuartsinitiative.blogspot.com.