Fermium may only be one of 10 bands set to perform at the Newport today, but that doesn’t mean they don’t plan to make their performance something to remember. At this year’s Thanksgiving Eve Fest, a solid ten bands will be vying for audience attention and trying to rise up and grab some new fans.

Advance tickets are only $8. For people planning on having their own Thanksgiving Eve celebration, $8 won’t even purchase two foot-long subs from Subway.

Thanksgiving Eve Fest is an annual event hosted by Down Front Entertainment, a Columbus art and development production company. All 11 bands are unsigned, many from the greater Columbus area.

Some bands playing include Terrafirma, Bless the Child, Paper Thin Disaster, As We Are, Angelcide, Eyes of Treason, The Good Fight, The Viridian City and Arise.

The style of music will vary from modern rock to metal. According to Fermium’s MySpace, its style is experimental, hip-hop and hardcore.
Fermium lead singer Fillip Hord said he is expecting 300 to 500 people in attendance for the band’s third performance at the Newport. He hopes that students familiar with the band will be there.

“Shows are definitely the best thing, especially when the fans are singing along to like every song,” Hord said. “When the fans are hitting each other, screaming, jumping, that’s the best part for me.”

Hord said playing at the Newport is a big step for bands trying to make it big.

“I definitely feel we’ll make it big within a couple years or so,” Hord said. “It’s my dream to be on tour and to be making albums.”

Hord said he has plenty of respect for the other bands performing and has performed in the same venues with all of them.

“Terrafirma has quite a name in Columbus and I love Bless the Child,” Hord said. “[Bless the Child] has an awesome singer and they are backed by an awesome band too.”

Thanksgiving Eve Fest will open its doors at 5:30 p.m. Tickets are available in advance through Ticketmaster, and will be $13 the day of show.