The Drake University Bulldogs scored in overtime to get the upset bid over the Ohio State men’s soccer team Sunday in the second round of the NCAA Tournament.

The second round tournament game saw the Bulldogs score a goal in the seventh minute of overtime to defeat the Buckeyes 1-0 and move to the third round.

The winning goal was scored by midfielder Luke Gorczyca. The ball was kicked into the box and bounced off several players before Gorczyca poked it over OSU goalie Matt Lampson.

“It was a scramble,” coach John Bluem said. “We failed to clear the ball, and the ball was bouncing awkwardly. They’re a team who was attacking, and when the ball is in the air, it’s easier to get in [the goal] than out.” 

There were several OSU defenders who had a chance to clear the ball. Somehow the ball snuck into the net and set off a celebration among Drake players.

The first half saw few scoring chances for both teams. Drake held the ball several times inside the box, but the OSU defense kept the ball out of the goal. OSU goalie Matt Lampson had a key save that helped keep the score at zero.  

The Buckeyes had their first great opportunity to score on a free kick just outside the 18-yard box, but the ball floated just wide of the goal. 

OSU turned up the pressure in the second half and dominated the ball, consistently keeping it on the Drake side of the field.

OSU had several shots on goal but failed to make anything of the opportunities.

“It just wasn’t our day; it wasn’t meant to be,” Bluem said. “I thought we had the majority of play in the second half, and I thought we were going to get one. Our inability to produce a goal eventually bit us, and a team like that hangs in there long enough, they catch a break.”  

Drake caught a break on the last play and capitalized on its chance. Drake finished with nine shots, and OSU had 10, but the Bulldogs had the one they needed most.

The Buckeyes end their season with a record of 12-5-4, a Big Ten regular season championship and a Big Ten tournament championship.

“We had a great season and we accomplished a lot,” Bluem said. “Today we fell short of a dream on a day where things just didn’t go our way.”