As winter rapidly approaches, the zoo may not sound like the most appealing place to be. With the wind starting to pick up and the sun setting earlier, an outdoor activity gets harder to market. So far, though, this hasn’t been a problem for Wildlights at the Columbus Zoo, which will be open Nov. 20 through Jan. 2.

“For a date, it is perfect for memories a couple can take away from the night,” said Jennifer Wilson, spokeswoman for the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium. “We actually have a number of couples that return to Wildlights to propose because it is where they had their first date.”

As for groups of friends looking for a special night out, the event promises to be an entertaining and out-of-the-ordinary holiday experience that can be enjoyed together, Wilson said in an e-mail.

The Web site “USA Travel Guide,” recently named the zoo best in the country, making Columbus the home of a top-rated attraction.

Wildlights has been an annual Columbus tradition for 21 years and with the help of American Electric Power, the event is greener than ever. There are fewer lights than past years and all of the bulbs have been converted to eco-friendly LED lights, allowing the displays to be brighter than ever even at a lower energy cost.

Most of the lights cannot be hung until the temperatures cool and the leaves fall. Once the opportunity arises, the zoo’s ground crew works for about a month and a half to illuminate the area.

The zoo will be premiering the Holiday Encounters Village this year, which is a celebration of popular culture from past holidays. Memorabilia replicating a variety of movies such as “A Christmas Story” and “Elf” will be featured along with the Pop-Culture Salute to the Season, which is an animated holiday light show set to popular holiday carols.

A favorite event returning from past years is Rhythms Around the Watering Hole. The production is the zoo’s original light show and it runs nightly for nine minutes every half hour beginning at 5 p.m., according to the Wildlights’ press release.

“The animated light shows are pretty powerful and are definitely a favorite of all ages,” Wilson said in an e-mail.

Continuing in the holiday spirit, the zoo will spread cheer during Animals on Safari: Holidays at the Camp, a live show featuring dogs and cats rescued from local animal shelters. The event will take place nightly at the Activity Pavilion where the Frozone Ice Rink was located in past years.

Other special events include the birthday celebration of Colo, the first gorilla born in a zoo and the oldest living gorilla at a zoo, on Dec. 22 and Zoo Year’s Eve, an event leading into the new year with nightly celebrations Dec. 26 through Jan. 2.

Wildlights is open every Sunday through Thursday 5 to 9 p.m., and Friday through Saturday 5 to 10 p.m. The event is closed Nov. 26, Dec. 24 and 25. Admission is $12 for adults.