Film and music buffs can double-dip on Saturday when the Columbus Symphony Orchestra performs the score to “The Wizard of Oz” on Jan. 30.

The orchestra will play the movie’s soundtrack while the film itself is projected onto the Ohio Theatre’s projection screen on stage during “A Symphonic Night at the Movies: Oz with Orchestra.”

The CSO will be conducted by Constantine Kitsopoulos, the music director of the Queens Symphony Orchestra in New York City. Kitsopoulos is experienced in conducting theater, having conducted several musicals including “Les Miserables” and “Dracula” on Broadway.

CSO General Manager Susan Rosenstock says that Kitsopoulos’ experience in theatrical productions is only one of the elements that benefits the orchestra during “Oz.” She also says that the Ohio Theatre is an opportune location because of its history.

“All movies used to have live orchestral accompaniment,” she said. “That’s why theatres like the Ohio Theatre have orchestra pits.”

The film footage itself received some tweaking for the event. Rosenstock says that the film has been restored so that it can be screened using a film reel projector, not using a newer digital approach.

Despite the old-fashioned presentation, Rosenstock hopes that the classic film will lure new and younger listeners to the CSO.

“We are always on the lookout for new programs, like ‘Oz,'” she said. “A classic like ‘The Wizard of Oz’ is going to appeal to a broader audience because whether or not you know the score, you’ve seen the ‘Wizard of Oz.'”

The CSO has bumped up the beginning of the event to 7:30 p.m. as a way to further bait new patrons. The time is a change from its normal 8 p.m. start time, so that families with young children can attend.

The CSO has done similar events in the past, but “Oz” marks the first performance of a popular classic film. In the past, the orchestra has provided a soundtrack for the silent films “The Lost World” and the 1925 version of “The Phantom of the Opera.” The orchestra has also performed the Russian film “Alexander Nevsky” at the Mershon Auditorium.

The orchestra plans on sticking to the original music as much as possible. However the original score to the film, composed by Herbert Stothart, was lost by MGM Studios long ago. Conductor and historic film aficionado John Wilson was hired by MGM to restructure the lost scores to all of MGM’s classic musicals. Wilson completed his work in 2007.

Stothart’s original score was one of the most well-received aspects of the film when it debuted. The film won two Oscars, both for its soundtrack. Stothart won the award for Best Music, Original Score, and Howard Arlen won for Best Music, Original Song for “Over the Rainbow.” The continuing relevance of the film’s soundtrack was evident in 2001 when the Recording Industry Association of America placed “Over the Rainbow” at No. 1 on its list of “Songs of the Century.” The dialogue and vocals will be the same as the original film during “Oz with Orchestra,” but the background music will be removed.

Rosenstock rehashed that the event was a great opportunity for those who had never attended an orchestral concert. She pointed out that any student with a BuckID could get discounted tickets at the box office.

“There are so many films that I would like for them to do an event like this for,” she said. “‘The Wizard of Oz’ is a good start.”