The Super Bowl will not be the only football that receives attention Sunday. Before Indianapolis and New Orleans play to determine the best team in the NFL, the Wexner Center will shine light on one of the best high school football programs in the country.

“Go Tigers!” is a film that chronicles the 1999 Massillon Tigers football team. The program was trying to bounce back from a losing record the season before.

An important school levy in the district is coming up that plays a major role in the future of Massillon football. The team knows that a strong performance on the field would likely translate in the ballot box.

“The point of the film is if the team wins, it’s going to make people happy enough for the school and they’re going to vote for the levy,” said Dave Filipi, curator of film and video at The Wexner Center.

“Go Tigers!” draws attention to three athletes that played big roles on the team. They understand the importance the team has on the town of Massillon and themselves as individuals.

One player, Ellery Moore, describes his emotional tie to the program.

“There ain’t a day goes by that I’m not grateful to God for putting Massillon football in my life,” he said in the film.

Many schools throughout the country have been faced with situations like the one in the film. A sports or music program depends on the generosity of the citizens of the school district and town.

What sets Massillon apart from most schools is its nationwide recognition as being a premier program and its influence on football history.

“The film is about how there is a tradition in smaller towns across the country where high school athletics plays such an important role in the town’s morale,” Filipi said.

About 72 miles south of Akron, Massillon has made its mark on the sport of football. Its stadium is named after the legendary Paul Brown, who coached the Tigers, Buckeyes, Browns and Bengals.

Every year, that stadium hosts half of the Ohio High School Athletic Association State Football Championships. The other games are played in nearby Canton.

Football and film lovers can experience what the sport means to Massillon.

“I think people would enjoy it from the football angle, but I think it’s also a really interesting portrait of a smaller city,” Filipi said.

It is part of a larger series that runs through the end of February. There is a gallery exhibition called “Hard Targets” that highlights men in sports. Documentaries and films about other sports, like soccer and tennis, will also be shown.

“Go Tigers!” plays at The Wexner Center Sunday at 2 p.m. Tickets are free.