One of Columbus’s premier theater and arts organizations has decided to move on to a brighter stage.

MadLab Theatre and Gallery, currently located at 105 N. Grant Ave., has recently purchased a new theater, located at 227 N. Third St.

The goal of this purchase is not only to improve the quality of the atmosphere but to allow for more Columbus citizens to recognize the talent of the devoted volunteer actors, writers and directors that dedicate so much of their time to the organization.

“This is a theater arts organization that originally provided opportunities that playwrights would not get in any other theater. It later spilled over to actors with little experience as well,” managing director Andy Batt said.

The volunteer members of MadLab put on approximately three or four shows per year, all originally written. The organization values experimentation in its shows, which gives MadLab its own identity in the theater world.

Although Greg McGill, MadLab’s longest-running actor, said that although he feels “very teary-eyed” to leave the current location, he is excited to move on to an improved location. Since joining MadLab in 1997, McGill has been everything from a writer to an actor to a director. He is hopeful that, because of this location, the organization will become more prominent in the Columbus community.

“There are a lot of people close by who don’t even know what we do or care about what we do. I hope that more and more people who care now will reach those who do not,” McGill said.

One major goal of the move is to attract a larger audience. MadLab’s current building is only capable of holding 55 audience members, but in the new theater, they will be able to hold as many as 80 people.

The new theater will also have a men’s and women’s restroom, unlike the single, unisex restroom that is in the North Grant Street theater. The Third Street theater also has higher ceilings, as well as a workshop in the same building. Currently, rehearsals take place all over Columbus, which makes it difficult to rehearse and perform in different spaces.

To increase donations for renovations at the new Third Street theater, MadLab is running an initiative called “Raise the Roof.”

This initiative has been encouraging supporters of the organization to donate money that will contribute to such necessities as lumber, drywall, doors and paint.

As MadLab continues to gain more support from its fans, it continues to get closer to opening its new theater. The North Grant Street theater shut its doors on Feb. 13 and will reopen on North Third Street on March 10. MadLab’s first performance in its new home will be the “Kill ‘Em with Kindness Comedy Festival.”

McGill is in high hopes that the community will care about their new space and look at it as a smart business venture.

The community “knows we exist but they don’t really care. I’m really hoping these people will think ‘gosh, they sure have their s–t together’,” McGill said.