The Merce Cunningham Dance Company will kick off its farewell performance, “The Legacy Tour,” at the Wexner Center for the Arts.

The tour will commemorate the life of Merce Cunningham, who passed away in July at the age of 90, and feature 15 dancers he personally trained.

Cunningham was an internationally known dancer and choreographer who specialized in vanguard multidisciplinary practice. He was honored at the Wexner Prize ceremony in Mershon Auditorium in 1993 for his achievements, alongside fellow dancer and life partner John Cage.

“This will be the final opportunity for audiences to see these dances,” said director of special projects Kevin Taylor. “We are happy to kick it off at the Wexner because it is a great venue and has developed a good relationship with the company.”

The tour will focus on several of Cunningham’s works that will be split up into two parts. There will be 32 different dance variations from contrasting periods of time, Taylor said.

The tour features “Crisis,” a 1960 work with music by American composer Conlon Nancarrow, and “Split Sides,” with electronic music by rock bands Radiohead and Sigur Rós.

“You will be very captivated by [the] nature of these dances,” Taylor said. “These are some of the best dancers in the world. The show will be highly technical yet abstract,” said Taylor.

After its stop in Columbus, The Legacy Tour will go on a two-year international tour.

The tour will begin Friday, Feb. 12 at 8 p.m. in Mershon Auditorium.