Sam Prewitt knew that he wasn’t satisfied just working a 9-to-5 job, so he decided to set out to be the coolest kid you know.

Prewitt, who goes by the moniker SPdaCoolKid, began pursuing his radio dreams during his undergraduate career at Ohio Dominican University. The Cleveland native worked as a station manager at the school’s radio station.

Now a graduate of the university, Prewitt has his own Internet radio station, Cool Kid Radio. He said his idea for Cool Kid Radio came to him during the nap he takes before he begins the third shift at his job. He said after his nap he immediately put everything together for his show.

Prewitt said he wanted an urban radio station that could be the gateway between college life and adulthood. Each episode of Cool Kid Radio covers a variety of hot topics that are relatable to this audience, he said.

The name Cool Kid Radio is inspired by the hip-hop group, The Cool Kids. Prewitt said he always wanted to be the director of all things cool, so he named himself, SPdaCoolKid.
With the help of Facebook and Twitter, Prewitt was able to reach people he couldn’t have imagined reaching on his own, he said. He said he is appreciative of these sites because they have increased his listenership.

Prewitt is joined on the show by radio personalities DissMiss, Smack Marcus, and Mr. Sweet Talk. They have a great chemistry that provides for great discussion and a great work environment, he said.

Each episode of Cool Kid Radio is taped ahead of time and Prewitt edits them himself. He said he does his best to clean up the language, make sure it stays relevant to the audience and to make sure it doesn’t run too long.

Prewitt believes that one thing wrong with the morning talk shows is that they are out of touch with the younger audience. He said he doesn’t fear becoming out of touch, because of Twitter, Facebook and his attendance at city events. He also believes that audiences and demographics grow with radio shows.

One of Prewitt’s goals for Cool Kid Radio is to make sure that it reaches back and captures the fun-loving personality of radio. He said he wants to try and support local artists.

“I want to support people and have them support us,” he said.

He encourages upcoming artists to send their music to [email protected]. He said a local artist who was featured on his show was just signed to Universal Records.

Ohio State students have become fans of the Internet show on Prewitt’s social networking pages and they have even made it a trending topic on Twitter. Prewitt said he believes that OSU students should listen to Cool Kid Radio.

“Cause it’s the cool thing to do, and everybody wants to be cool,” he said.

A new episode of the show is released every Tuesday at 7 p.m. on audiofarm.org/coolkidradio. Prewitt said you can give feedback through Audio Farm or you can send him a message via Twitter @SPdaCoolKid.