The NHL trade deadline came and went this year with little fanfare from Ohio State students.

Other than Blue Jackets fans on campus saddened with the trade of Raffi Torres to the Buffalo Sabres, most students just went about their normal days with classes and homework.

Matt Bartkowski, a sophomore defenseman for the OSU men’s hockey team, was preparing with his teammates for their playoff series with Notre Dame when he received a phone call from his parents.

“My folks informed me that I got traded to the Boston Bruins,” Bartkowski said.

Bartkowski, a seventh-round draft pick of the Florida Panthers in 2008, was traded along with defensemen Dennis Seidenberg to the Boston Bruins for forwards Byron Bitz and Craig Weller.

“[Teammate Zac] Dalpe texted and informed me too because I wasn’t watching TV and wasn’t too aware of what was going, but, yeah, I got traded,” Bartkowski said.

Although Bartkowski has yet to step on NHL ice, he said he was happy about becoming a part of the Bruins organization.

“Boston is a very good organization. They have good coaches, good management. I’m excited about it and to talk to them to see what they have planned for me.”

It is an unusual situation for a player’s rights to be traded while he has yet to finish playing in or leave college. Bartkowski said he plans to continue his career as a Buckeye.

“I’m assuming that the plan is the same for me, to keep playing at Ohio State and do my time here,” Bartkowski said.

Bartkowski said that, despite the trade, his mindset is currently with his team and the Central Collegiate Hockey Association playoffs.

“It is a big thing. It’s a different organization, new team, new people you have to get to know, but it’s not that big of a part [of me] right now, especially with us going to the playoffs,” Bartkowski said. “There are much bigger things I have to focus on.” 

But Bartkowski said once the season ends, he would feel the impact of the deal.

“I’m sure after the season it will take its full effect and I’ll get to settle in a little more over it,” he said.