Many students may find themselves stressed during finals week, but the key to doing well on finals is to relax.

Neal Newman, a psychologist with Counseling and Consultation Service at the Younkin Success Center, works with students who find themselves stressed out or getting stressed. Newman runs a seminar three times a quarter on mental skills for stress management and leads a workshop on test taking.

Students will fill the libraries, cramming for their upcoming finals.

Newman said that students want to do well on finals but it is important not to worry about the outcome and focus on the process.

“Be self accepting about what you know and what you don’t know,” he said.

Newman said it is important for students to realize that they are not going to know everything. It is also important to focus on what they know and not worry as much about the outcome.

Another important aspect of stress management is a proper, healthy mental state.

“Students function and test better when they are in a good mental state,” Newman said.

Newman said that students should look to the preparation of Olympic athletes. He said that the athletes prepare to the best of their ability and then when it comes time to race they go over their skills and do what they have trained to do.

Newman said that students should prepare to the best of their ability then use their training to get through the final.

Newman said he understands the need for students to stay up late.

“If you are overtired it is not easy to focus,” he said. “But on the other hand if you are not prepared you will be able to focus but not know the information.”

Newman said he does not recommend the use of drugs such as Adderall to stay awake or concentrate.

“It is best to be well rested and have a well balanced meal,” Newman said. “I usually also suggest time for exercise to relieve stress when studying.”

Newman also said it is important to focus on relaxation. He recommended deep breathing and trying to calm your muscles.

The nursing program at Ohio State recently put on its second annual Staying Healthy Under Pressure program.

“The goal of this program was to help students discover effective ways to cope with that stress,” said Christina Douglas, a graduate administrative associate in the College of Nursing. “We did this by providing free 15-minute chair massages to those who registered, and by bringing in a speaker from Younkin’s Counseling and Consultation Service to discuss acute stress management techniques.”

The program emphasized ways for students to relax and control stress. Douglas said students would most benefit if, “at test time do what you know you can do and don’t worry about what you can’t do or don’t know. At that point it’s too late to change, so don’t waste time and energy stressing about something you cannot control.”

“Take care of yourself during finals,” Newman said.

Programs like Staying Healthy Under pressure as well as the counseling services at the Younkin Success Center are open to all students.