Two 40-year-old aspiring rock stars, Clark Stiles and Nathan Khyber, document their passion for music and record the album of their dreams during a 24-day cross-country road trip in the film “Don’t Quit Your Daydream.”

Stiles and Khyber make up the experimental/pop/rock band The Good Listeners, and were both once a part of the 90s hit band Absinthe.

Although the movie could inspire driven musicians and possibly touch the heart of a sympathetic viewer, the film lacked depth and spontaneity.

The two musicians and a few technical support members left their day jobs in the dust to set off in an RV and stop in 12 cities, recording a song at each location. They would track down a local musician to participate as a featured artist on the tracks.

The Good Listeners chose unusual locations to produce the tracks. In Lexington, Ky., they created a song in a barn with Adrian Grenier from “Entourage.”

The tour began in Joshua Tree, Calif., and ended in Brooklyn, N.Y.

If anything, their journey generated a handful of interesting characters who were local “rock stars.” The mildly eccentric guest musicians are what kept the film moving.

The idea of the production seemed more exciting than the actual production. The theme of inspiring others to chase dreams no matter how far-fetched they are was a creative motive, but the monotonous pace of the film overshadowed the message.

The commentary from the artists about their dreams was heart-felt and emotional. The essence of the film was captured with their testimonies, but the viewer wasn’t taken on the journey with them. The intimacy between the viewer and the artists’ passion was separated because there wasn’t enough substance from The Good Listeners.

One thing that was enjoyable from the movie was the songs they created. The tracks did have substance and were relatable to any age group.

The documentary was a good way for the musicians to get their music heard by the public, and their testimonies were also a great way to contribute and connect to listeners.

The documentary will be showing at the Nashville Film Festival from April 21-22. The Good Listeners will also perform music from the soundtrack for the film during the festival.