Lisle Rose, historian and author of “Explorer: The Life of Richard E. Byrd,” will speak today at Ohio State to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the university’s Byrd Polar Research Center.

“The prominence of our research center has given us the unique opportunity to bring in speakers that may be of interest to students,” said Laura Kissel, the polar curator for the Byrd Polar Research Center’s Archival program.

Rose is the second speaker to visit OSU in honor of the research center’s anniversary. His lecture will focus on a presentation about Admiral Richard E. Byrd and his scientific explorations.

Rose is no stranger to the OSU Campus. He conducted extensive research in Byrd Polar’s archive to help write his book “Explorer,” a biography of Byrd.

“In the past, other biographical efforts have either praised Byrd as an American hero without flaws or condemned him as an egotistical, selfish and cowardly individual who took credit away from others to bolster his public image,” said Rai Goerler, director of the Archival program. “Rose manages to present a balanced and uniformly interesting account.”

During his lifetime, Byrd made three expeditions to Antarctica, two of which were organized and funded on his own. He also gained recognition for making trans-Atlantic flights weeks after Charles Lindbergh and claiming to have made the first flight over the North Pole.

“Byrd was a pivotal figure not in the scientific investigation of Antarctica, but in applying modern technologies of radios and airplanes to make that knowledge possible,” Goerler said. “It is not an exaggeration to say that the continuing presence of the United States in Antarctica was due to the career of Admiral Richard E. Byrd.”

Rose had the opportunity to join Byrd on one of his later expeditions to the polar region.

“He has that knowledge that he brings to any presentation he gives,” Kissel said.

Like Kissel, Goerler shares a similar regard for Rose.

“As a professional historian, a veteran of the Navy and someone who has been to Antarctica, Dr. Rose commands attention and respect and is also a gifted speaker,” Goerler said.

An interview with Goerler and Rose will take place today at 11 a.m. on the radio program “All Sides With Ann Fisher,” which airs on WOSU.

Along with “Explorer,” Rose has written several books about the U.S. Navy as well as another work about Byrd titled “Assault on Eternity.”

The research center has recognized Rose extensively for his research efforts and accomplishments.

“Dr. Rose has been so influential that OSU’s Polar Archival Program did an oral history of him,” Goerler said.

Rose’s lecture will take place at Thompson Library in Room 1120 from 3:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. A book signing will follow the lecture.

Individuals are able to purchase a copy of “Explorer” at the event.

Along with the lecture, several other events have been planned by the research center to commemorate its 50th anniversary.

On May 12, a panel comprised of three or four Polar Byrd scientists will answer a series of questions about how they became involved and interested in their research. The discussion will take place in Thompson Library Room 1120 from 3:30 p.m. to 5 p.m.

A large exhibit sponsored by the research center will be displayed in the William Oxley Thompson Library Gallery through May 28. The gallery is open Monday through Wednesday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Thursday from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.; Friday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.; and Saturday and Sunday from noon to 5 p.m. The exhibit is free and open to all.