His sculptures transcend art and become something more. His structures become architectural works of a common theme represented in abstract form. And when installed, his art becomes a progenitor for the area’s development.

David Black, a professor emeritus, is the artist behind such works.

A Columbus-based artist, Black has more than 25 large-scale sculptures in the United States, Japan and Germany.

Black described his work as “proto-architecture,” a reference to his fusion of architectural aspects, such as columns and arches, along with the energy of sculpture.

His pieces are open to the public. They stand in accessible areas for the communities they belong in. Some provide an overhead structure for observers to walk under, and others provide intricate seating. Many pieces have a theme or are inspired by a simple aspect around the chosen area to relate the art to its new home.

“The thing I’m most interested in is people and what they see in something new in their area,” Black said. “Something that’s maybe uplifting, maybe fun, but mostly has a sense that it belongs there and will last. It’s not a joke. It’s not just a décor. But it has a serious purpose as well as an energy for that particular spot.”

Black’s abstract work definitely stands out in public areas, but his work is meant to eventually unify the people around it.

“You want the public to feel that this is their sculpture,” Black said.

His latest piece, “Liftoff,” which is located in Washington, D.C., is 20-feet-high, 30-feet-wide and 40-feet-long. Black was inspired to create the yellow structure after seeing children fly kites at the National Mall.

“Liftoff” is the result of Black winning a national competition. One hundred and thirty artists submitted works for the contest, and the goal was to create a piece of art to help grow an area for housing and commercialism.

“It works,” Black said. “I know it works because the places where my sculptures have been located have developed.”

Black’s largest work is titled “Flyover” and is a memorial to the Wright Brothers in Dayton, Ohio. The sculpture is 42-feet-high, 24-feet-wide and 150-feet-long. The length, the arch and the image of wings on the sculpture are allusions to the Wright Brothers’ first flight.
Black taught for about 30 years at OSU, which also became the home for his first large sculpture, “Breaker.” It originally sat by the Wexner Center but is now outside Arps Hall. It was created in 1982 and was inspired by breakers in the ocean.

There are more large-scale sculptures in Columbus. Located on the campus of Columbus College of Art and Design is a 10-story-high sculpture of the word “art,” and installed in the Columbus Metropolitan Library is a 52-piece sculpture titled “Vanitas,” by OSU professor Todd Slaughter.

“A lot of younger artists are having more and more opportunities of making public work,” Slaughter said. “We have a city administration that is anxious to take advantage of opportunities for using art as a major part of the development of a city.”