Christofer Drew is making a name for himself within the acoustic-rock scene, performing songs under the alias Never Shout Never.

His first exposure came through the Internet, where he gained national acclaim on MySpace. Drew, 19, is now headlining the Alternative Press Tour presented by Rockstar Energy Drink.

Never Shout Never will perform in front of a sold-out crowd at Newport Music Hall Friday, in a set that will also feature Hey Monday, The Cab, Every Avenue and Summer Set. Drew sings and plays guitar and ukulele at live performances and is accompanied by a touring band known as The Shout.

Influenced by Bob Dylan, Woody Guthrie and Buddy Holly, Drew began playing his father’s guitar when he was 14, following a sports injury. He then began recording his music on his Macbook and playing open-mic nights in his hometown Joplin, Mo.

“I’ve always been drawn to music about true expression from the heart,” Drew said, describing his musical interests and influences.

After his songs started receiving nearly 15,000 hits a day, Never Shout Never released his first EP “The Yippee” in July 2009, Drew said. He began touring with bands such as The Scene Aesthetic and Forever the Sickest Kids before signing with Warner Bros. Records in May 2009.

Drew described his style of music as simple acoustic-folk music blended with rock and pop. He dropped out of Joplin High School before graduation to pursue his music career.

In January 2009, Never Shout Never released a debut album titled “What is Love?,” which debuted at No. 24 on the Billboard 200. Never Shout Never also received an mtvU Breaking Woodie Award in 2009, an award that is voted on by college students.

This is the first tour Never Shout Never has headlined.

“We really are just a bunch of hometown kids thrown into this crazy music scene,” Drew said.

The tour sold out 10 venues before hitting the road March 19, and has since sold out 26 of the 39 planned performances.

Following the AP Tour, Never Shout Never will join the Vans Warped Tour during the summer with Anti-Flag, Every Time I Die, Mike Posner and many more bands that will perform in Cincinnati and Cleveland as part of a nationwide tour.

Never Shout Never is an alias Drew plans to use through his growth as an artist. He said that he plans to record under his real name for future albums, including his next album which will be titled “Harmony.”

“I’ve already written about 30 songs for the next album,” Drew said. “I’m hoping to begin recording later this year after the tours.”

As for his next tour, Drew said that he hopes to make it “like a traveling circus with a bunch of buddies, where the fans can really have a great time.”