For new Ohio State hockey coach Mark Osiecki, winning won’t be everything.

Osiecki, the Minnesota native who took over as coach for John Markell after 15 seasons, made it clear that acquiring and developing NHL-caliber talent would be his top priority.

“We will look at wins and losses,” Osiecki said. “That somewhat has to be a by-product of the overall scheme of things, but we want guys that will be able to come in here and move on to pro hockey.”

While his main goal may sound strange, Osiecki appears to understand the reality that, ultimately, players will commit to OSU based on what the program can do to get them to the professional level.

“We look at it as we’re developers as we have the opportunity to bring those guys along,” Osiecki said.

Developing players at OSU shouldn’t be difficult for Osiecki.

As head coach and general manager of the Green Bay Gamblers in the United States Hockey League, more than 50 of his players went on to play for Division I schools between 1998 and 2004.

Osiecki continued to develop talent as an assistant coach at the University of Wisconsin, where he also served as recruiting coordinator. His former program accounted for 17 players in the NHL last season, which ranks second among NCAA schools.

By comparison, OSU had only six players in the NHL last season, but Osiecki believes the school’s reputation will help him attract elite talent to the program.

“People know what Ohio State is,” Osiecki said. “And I think it’s just a matter of getting in there and throwing elbows at certain programs and areas of recruiting.”

On the ice, Osiecki wants his teams to focus on speed and movement without the puck, while also remaining committed to defense.

Still, the former NHL defenseman says that offense will be the driving force behind his teams, referencing the motto “speed kills,” which he used as a coach during the World Junior Hockey Championships.

“We’ve got to do the little things really well, but defense won’t be our style,” Osiecki said.”We’re going to play aggressive, up-tempo hockey.”

As entertaining as Osiecki expects his teams to be, the greatest benefit to the fast-paced style of play could be in recruiting, as offensively skilled players will be enticed to play in his system.

But before Osiecki gets into recruiting, he will heed the advice coach Jim Tressel gave him and “take care of the now.”

His first order of business is to put together his coaching staff, but he was adamant in stating that he wouldn’t “clean house” with his staff in order to maintain some degree of continuity.

While Osiecki hopes to replicate the success he had while serving on Mike Eaves’ staff at Wisconsin, he stressed the need for patience while enhancing the program.

“You’re not going to change the world right now,” Osiecki said. “You don’t have to. Just make a few tweaks here and there, and make sure the staff’s in place and you’re all on the same page.”

With a daunting task ahead of him, Osiecki is confident that the administration and the players he inherited will make his job easier.

“There are some damn good hockey players in that locker room,” Osiecki said. “Everybody within the program will put a great plan in place.”