The co-management agreement that will put Ohio State in charge of managing both the Schottenstein Center and Nationwide Arena could provide opportunities for OSU students.

Nationwide Arena is currently run by SMG, a management corporation that handles booking for concerts and other events. When SMG’s contract expires on June 30, OSU will manage Nationwide Arena.

OSU will be responsible for booking concerts and other non-athletic events, along with everyday maintenance of the arena, said Xen Riggs, the associate vice president of OSU’s Office of Administration and Planning.

OSU took over the booking aspect about a week and a half ago when the contract was signed, Riggs said. It will assume the rest of its responsibilities July 1.

The deal could be beneficial to OSU students. Riggs said management will expand both the student internship program and the after-event cleanup program.

Currently, the Schottenstein Center employs six to eight student interns at a time, Riggs said.

“It’s just a really positive program,” he said.

The after-event cleanup is available to student organizations looking to earn money. Each group is assigned a level of the Schottenstein Center to clean.

Riggs said both programs could continue at Nationwide Arena.

The deal will also benefit the venues themselves, he said, as both could save money under the new contract.

In the past, Nationwide Arena and the Schottenstein Center have competed to bring acts to Columbus. But the deal will eliminate the competition, so the venues will not have to pay the highest rates to attract artists.

“Typically, competition means lower prices, but in this business, there’s only one Elton John,” Riggs said.

The consolidation of management could indirectly lower ticket prices or at least keep them stable, he said. “It definitely is not going to raise prices.”

Riggs also said management is already booking an event. Although he could not disclose the event, he said ticket prices will be “significantly lower” because of the agreement.

When asked about rumors that St. John Arena will close as a result of the deal, Riggs said the two events are not connected. There has been talk of closing St. John Arena for more than a year, he said.

“Who knows if and when it will happen,” he said.

Either way, the deal will create many benefits, Riggs said.

“The arenas will be working together to the best advantage of the students, the city and the community.”