Twelve fashion-savvy women sat in a group Thursday discussing ways to raise enough money to get to New York City. For the Fashion Student Organization at Ohio State, the NYC trip is one step toward landing a dream job.

“The trip to New York gives us a chance to network and get our names out to the people in the fashion industry,” said Amanda Ross, president of the group and a third-year in fashion retail studies.

During their trip, students get a chance to meet with fashion companies and designers.

“We try to interview for internships while we’re there,” said Hilary Burkhard, a fourth-year in fashion retail studies and the public relations representative for the group.

The organization meets with a variety of designers and companies, such as Bergdorf Goodman and Elizabeth Arden. It also meets with some lesser-known companies, such as ECI and G-III Apparel.

The student group focuses mainly on the business side of retail, and the members come from an assortment of majors.

The organization “benefits anyone in any major,” Burkhard said. “We work to get connected and get more experience.”

Once members graduate, they don’t always stay in retail. The alumni go into “merchandising, buying and management,” Burkhard said.

“One of our alum started her own jewelry design business,” said Kathleen Whitman, the group’s adviser.

Some alumni work for American Eagle, Lane Bryant and the Target Corp. headquarters.

The group is finalizing plans for a winter fashion show being held Dec. 2.

“Local companies donate their clothes, and the members of the organization model them in a show,” said Adrienne Clutter, vice president of the organization and a fifth-year in fashion retail studies.

The theme of this year’s winter show is “Puttin’ on the glitz.”

“We have our own cocktail, called the ‘Fashion-tini,’ which is going to be teal in color,” said Lauren Moore, a fourth-year in fashion retail studies. For each drink sold, $1 goes back to the students.

The show is being held at Bar Louie, and earnings will help members get to NYC in the spring. Tickets are $3 in advance and $5 at the door.

The fashion group has been an organization on campus for more than 20 years but recently changed its name.

“We were formerly called ‘Fashion Guild,'” Whitman said. “So you can see why we changed the name.”

Like any fashion group, the members were dressed to the nines and had plenty to say about today’s styles.

Military styles, fur, trench coats and lace were just some of the things the members said were “in” this season.

Hot colors included navy, neutrals, gray and rose.

Burkhard added that “lips should be bold colors, while the eyes are to be kept neutral.”

UGG boots, leggings with short skirts and big bags are out for this season.

The students said H&M, Target and Kohl’s are great places to shop on a budget, and Ladybird and Voodoo Denim Lounge, both located in the Short North, are more expensive places to get great clothes.

The group accepts new members in all majors, year-round.