Ohio State students might have mixed feelings about Kid Rock, but ticket sales for the musician’s concert Friday at the Schottenstein have been successful.

“I think that this one surprised all of us,” said Leslie Lane, marketing director at the Schottenstein, of the sales. “This one’s been extremely popular.”

Alex Baker, a third-year in criminology, said he got his ticket for the Columbus concert “the day they went on sale.” Baker said Kid Rock is on his list of top five artists, and he has seen him in concert before.

“As a performer, he’s phenomenal,” Baker said. He said the best part of the concerts is “the energy he brings to the stage.”

Chris Laipple, a second-year in marketing, said he would attend a Kid Rock concert every weekend if it were possible.

“I’ve been a Kid Rock fan since I first heard ‘Cowboy,'” Laipple said. “I’m a fan because he speaks the truth and doesn’t care what anyone thinks of him.”

Unlike Baker and Laipple, Tony Franzer, a second-year in radiological sciences and therapy, said she “wouldn’t waste money to see him.”

Dmitriy Burdzhalov, a fifth-year in chemical engineering, said the only Kid Rock song he doesn’t mind is “All Summer Long,” off of his latest album.

“I don’t hate him, but I think he sucks as a musician,” Burdzhalov said.

Despite opinions, Kid Rock, born Robert James Ritchie on Jan. 17, 1971, has had a long-spanning career. His first album, “Grits Sandwiches for Breakfast,” was released in 1990, but his fame stemmed from his album “Devil Without a Cause,” which was released in 1998. His latest album, “Born Free,” was released in November.

Rock’s eclectic songs allow country, rock, metal and rap to mingle, but his music is sometimes overshadowed by his behavior. Rock’s personal life has been scrutinized, as his actions and statements are sometimes controversial.

“You can make me out to be some hell-raiser who just goes around being wild all the time, or you can make me out to be someone who tried to give a lot back to where he comes from, and raise my son as a single father,” Rock said in a video documentary titled “Kid Rock: Born Free.” Representatives for Rock did not respond to The Lantern’s requests for interviews.

As for his wild side, he has been in several public altercations, including an arrest for a fight at a Waffle House in October 2007. The arrest resulted in a lawsuit against Rock, and in a TMZ video he laughed as he compared the charges to waiting in line for deli meat.

“Take a number, happens all the time,” he said.

Rock plays down his bad-boy demeanor when discussing his son, Robert Ritchie Jr.

“I’ve always tried to teach him what it’s like to be a good person, how you treat people, and how you work hard for money and respect people,” Rock said about his son in the documentary.

Tickets for Friday’s performance are still available through the Schottenstein Center’s website.