Ohio State students can buy tickets at a discount on Tuesday for the Cirque du Soleil performance “Dralion.”

Cirque du Soleil is a performance company that has travelled worldwide showcasing quirky talents with dynamic gymnastic routines. In February, the group will perform eight shows at the Schottenstein Center.

There are 100 tickets available for students and each ticket is $25, said Katie Tumblin, Ohio Union discount ticket program coordinator. The tickets will become available at 5 p.m. at the first floor information center.

“As long as you’re paying the Student Activity Fee you’re eligible, and you can get two tickets per BuckID,” she said.

Tumblin said she believes the tickets will sell quickly. Tumblin said the event was selected for the discount because she received “a lot of feedback from the students saying that they’d like tickets for it.”

The tickets available are all for the Feb. 10 showing.

Leslie Lane, marketing director for the Schottenstein Center, said she is glad the Union is providing discounted tickets for students. Lane said the top price for Cirque du Soleil tickets is just under $100.

“We really do try to make sure that we can get some (discount) offers for our own backyard, that we’re taking care of campus,” she said. “We’re always cognizant of that.”  

“Dralion,” which is one of the 20 shows Cirque du Soleil is currently involved in, was created in 1999. It portrays the four elements: earth, water, fire and air, and highlights harmony between nature and mankind. Julie Desmarais, a spokeswoman for Cirque du Soleil, said a lot of changes have been made in the show since its debut.

The show last came to Columbus in 2003, and the performers presented the show under a “big-top” circus tent.

“Dralion” has since been reformatted for an arena-style performance. There are a few veteran performers, but most of the cast is new. New music and a contortionist act have been added to the show.

“We really reinvent ourselves for every show, so there’s always something unique and no show resembles a previous show you’ve seen,” Desmarais said.