Home » Uncategorized » Bieber, teens, need to ease off opinions

Bieber, teens, need to ease off opinions

After reading the Rolling Stone article featuring the world’s most famous teenager, Justin Bieber, I have come to one conclusion: 16-year-old boys should not voice opinions.

After stating that Canada was better than the United States, he went on to say that he doesn’t “believe in abortion” because “it’s like killing a baby.” Regardless of whether you’re pro-life or pro-choice, a 16-year-old male shouldn’t speak on the subject if he can’t do it intelligently. Especially not in a well-known magazine like Rolling Stone. And especially if he’s Justin Bieber.

When the interviewer, Vanessa Grigoriadis, asked him about abortion in cases of rape, he responded with, “Um. Well, I think that’s really sad, but everything happens for a reason.” Really? Rape happens for a reason? You might want to ask the people of Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network. They might have a different take on it.

Because of an “editing error” made by a Rolling Stone staff member, a part of the quote was left out of the online preview of the article. The error was corrected Tuesday and he apparently added: “I don’t know how that would be a reason. I guess I haven’t been in that position, so I wouldn’t be able to judge that.”

Thank you for your sage wisdom. We’re all glad you cleared that up.

The problem isn’t just his stupid and potentially harmful statement. That’s only part of it. Unfortunately, his influence is spreading, quickly.

The child has more than 7 million followers on Twitter and more than 21 million people who “Like” him on Facebook. His fans call themselves “Beliebers.” They will listen to anything he says. They would probably die for him. I saw reports of fans threatening to kill Selena Gomez just because there’s a rumor the two are dating.

The point is he should have chosen his words more carefully or not have said them at all. Either that or his PR person should have nipped that question in the bud. “No comment.” Obviously the interviewer wanted to elicit an impulsive response and she put him in the position to do so.

However, my stance on him is the same. Sixteen-year-old boys have no say on abortion or rape, especially if they’re not educated about it. Males in general need to watch what they say because they are less likely to get raped and even less likely, zero percent chance, of getting pregnant.

Another comment he made has the gay community up in arms as well. “It’s everyone’s own decision to do that. It doesn’t affect me and shouldn’t affect anyone else.”

That means gay people chose their sexual preference as opposed to heterosexuals, who don’t. Yet another spontaneous, stupid comment to put under his belt.

These issues are sensitive enough as it is. We don’t need an influential kid with millions of fans mouthing off about them, when he doesn’t have a clue what he’s talking about.