28 p.m. to Campus View Village Apartments, 929 Sharon Valley Road. The fire was brought under control by about 7 p.m. and fire officials said no one was injured. It is unclear what started the fire.
Ohio State students living in the Campus View Village Apartments on the university’s Newark campus lost their homes to a fire Tuesday night.
Fire officials are unsure what started the fire, but reported no one was injured.
Newark Fire Department Assistant Chief Bill Spurgeon said the fire affected about 75 people.
The Newark Fire Department was called to the apartment complex located at 929 Sharon Valley Rd. at 6:28 p.m. Firefighters had the fire under control at 6:58 p.m.
Spurgeon estimated the fire caused $50,000 in damages, and said the damage is “significant.”
Spurgeon said the complex is uninhabitable and fire officials are unsure when or if apartments will be livable again. The two-building apartment complex houses only students.
“Ohio State has done an excellent job sending resources to the scene,” Spurgeon said.
The Red Cross arrived at the apartment complex to help students shortly after the fire occurred, Spurgeon said. OSU-Newark opened a nearby university building to house students for the evening.