Sometimes chemistry in sports is created; other times it just comes naturally. However that connection comes about, it is necessary to be successful.

The Ohio State men’s lacrosse team has two sophomore attackers, Logan Schuss and Jeff Tundo, who have a special relationship both on and off the field.

“On the field, everything clicks,” Tundo said. “It just seems to work — there’s a chemistry there that’s kind of automatic.”

Last season, as freshmen, Schuss and Tundo were OSU’s two leading scorers. Schuss finished the 2010 campaign with 31 goals and 25 assists for 56 points, and Tundo added 20 goals and 15 assists for 35 points.

Schuss’ play in 2010 led to him being named Eastern College Athletic Conference Rookie of the Year and an honorable mention All-American.

“He’s a great player. He’s one of the best players, I think, in the country,” Tundo said. “It’s just easy to play with him.”

The two display their combined talents on the field, but also became good friends when they arrived at OSU.

“I usually get a ride home from practice with Jeff,” Schuss said. “We’re all about driving around with the windows down, having the sunroof open and blasting some tunes and dancing out.”

The type of music they enjoy might surprise some people.

“Right now we’re kind of in the techno stage,” Schuss said. “We’re all about the techno.”

OSU coach Nick Myers said he also noticed something special between the two almost instantly, even though they came from different areas. Schuss hails from Ladner, British Columbia, and Tundo from Orchard Park, N.Y.

“They come from very different places,” Myers said, “but have immediately found chemistry with each other the moment they stepped on campus.”

In OSU’s 13-8 upset victory against No. 3-ranked North Carolina (1-1) on Saturday, Schuss and Tundo played a large role in leading the Buckeyes to their third straight victory.

Schuss led the way for OSU (3-0), scoring three goals and handing out two assists. Tundo added one goal and one assist, which was to Schuss.

Tied, 6-6, at halftime, the Buckeyes started the second half with four goals in the first 4:11. Of those goals, Tundo scored the first and Schuss scored the next two.

Tundo has 7 goals and 3 assists, and Schuss has 4 goals and 3 assists this season.

Schuss said the two do not live together but have talked about being roommates their senior year. Apart from playing lacrosse, they spend a lot of time together.

“(Schuss) loves to dance. He’s a big dancer,” Tundo said. “He’s just a really funny kid.”

Schuss said Tundo has some funny moments too, making fun of his teammates.

“He likes to mimic other guys on our team,” Schuss said. “For me, he likes to poke fun at my Canadian accent. He loves doing that.”

Whether they are on the field or off, it is not hard to see the connection the two have developed. The Buckeyes say they are hopeful Schuss and Tundo can lead the team the rest of the season.

“I think the sky is the limit for those two,” Myers said. “They’re as competitive as any of the guys on our team. They aren’t satisfied and know they can get better.”