Last week, the Center for Equal Opportunity, a think tank that advocates for racial equality, published a study that said Ohio State’s admission process discriminates against white applicants. This got me thinking:

• Why not eliminate “Race” from applications?

• It would make for an interesting survey if the application instead asked, “For the sake of being accepted, which race would you prefer?”

• Some commenters have mentioned that they are not surprised a conservative group published this study, meaning it was merely pushing a political agenda. Fair enough, but it is equally unsurprising that a liberal group did not publish this study, for the same reason.

• Some have said they were kept out of college by a minority. I am curious as to how they know this. I wonder what color the person was that my admission kept out of college.

• I’m surprised that I haven’t seen or heard any complaints about this study being published during Black History Month.

• In observing this university over the past four years, I have never thought that any group was represented unfairly. I just always thought that there was representation from every group imaginable.

• Roger Clegg, president of the Center for Equal Opportunity, said, “Universities will say that they consider race and ethnicity simply as a tiebreaker or simply as one factor.” If true, then it is still discrimination. It implies that two students who are otherwise equal might be ranked according to skin color. That is like officials granting a win to the Lakers in a tie game because they like the color yellow.

• Clegg also said that, at OSU, blacks were favored nearly eight-to-one when using the ACT and more than three-to-one using the SAT. This tells me that, if I’m black, I want to be sure to take the ACT, and if I’m white I better try and take the SAT.

• Similar results were found in the CEO’s 2006 study of the University of Michigan. Only, at Michigan, the people who feel most offended are the ones who get accepted.

• The bickering that takes place on both sides of this issue proves once again that everyone wants to be a victim. No matter whom you ask, he or she is a victim of something, even in present-day society. Blacks, whites, gays, Jews, Muslims — you name it. They have all been mistreated by someone or something. I have a word for all of this injustice: equality.

• USG is lobbying OSU administrators to revise non-discrimination policies for student organizations. In his “State of the University Address,” USG President Micah Kamrass said, “We must send the message to our students that discrimination will not be tolerated and that, despite our great differences, we are all Buckeyes.” I expect USG to urge the university to lead by example.

• The term “reverse racism” should not be used because it, itself, is discriminatory. We use a different term depending on which group of people is guilty of the discrimination. Racism is racism. It does not matter in what direction it is pointing.

• I wonder how Ohio State would have responded had this study indicated that the university discriminated against blacks.

• Finally, if there is one thing you can say about racism, it is that it always finds its way into the news.