Bowling Green (14-19) proved to be too much for the Ohio State baseball team (15-16) when it defeated the Buckeyes, 5-4, Wednesday night.

“It was a lack of concentration and a lack of focus,” OSU coach Greg Beals said. “I told these guys they can’t just throw their hats on the field and the Block ‘O’ is going to win the game for them.”

Freshman outfielder Tim Wetzel agreed.

“We didn’t really bring it tonight,” he said. “We felt we were lacking with our approach at the plate tonight, and it showed in the stats.”

After two scoreless innings by both teams, a pair of wild pitches led to two runs for the Falcons in the third.

Bowling Green took advantage of more sloppy OSU play in the fourth. Junior second baseman Ryan Cypret had an error on a possible inning-ending double-play grounder, and the Falcons took full advantage to extend their lead to 3-0.

The Buckeyes rallied in the fourth with a pair of RBI hits from sophomore first baseman Brad Hallberg and junior left fielder David Corna to tie the score at 3-3.

The Falcons struck right back in the sixth inning, hitting freshman reliever John Kuchno hard for four hits and two more runs.

The Buckeyes cut Bowling Green’s lead to one after a Falcons balk but were unable to score the tying run from second in the eighth.

OSU went down in order in the ninth to close out the win for the Falcons.

Hitters left out in the cold

The air was not the only thing that was cold at Bill Davis Stadium, as the OSU bats were silent for most of the evening. Aside from the three-run, four-hit output in the fourth, the Buckeyes managed just two hits the rest of the evening.

“We did not handle our approach very well,” Beals said. “We just did not have any discipline and I don’t know what we were trying to do in the batter’s box tonight.”

DeLucia takes bat to the knee

Senior co-captain outfielder Brian DeLucia injured himself running out a ground ball in the eighth inning. He appeared to be running at half-speed before limping noticeably after the play. DeLucia remained in the game.

“He’ll be fine; it’s just a bruise,” Beals said. “He hit his knee with the bat after the swing.”

A good note

Despite the loss, the baseball team was given an honorable mention as “Team of the Week” by College Baseball Insider on its website earlier this week. It was given accolades as a result of its doubleheader sweep of Akron and series win against the Spartans.