Home » Uncategorized » Comedy festival to tie community, art

Comedy festival to tie community, art

Photo courtesy of Wild Goose Creative

If there’s one thing the Wild Goose Creative plans to provide at the 2011 Columbus Comedy Festival 2, it’s laughter.

Wild Goose Creative, a non-profit, multi-disciplinary arts company, is set to hold the Columbus Comedy Festival 2 today through Saturday.

Each of the festival’s three nights has a mix of performances including improvisation, stand-up comedy, sketch comedy and video comedy, said Nicholas Dekker, a founder and board member of Wild Goose Creative and a lecturer in the Ohio State Department of Theatre.

The festival is a way to showcase the great comedians that are working in Columbus, Dekker said.

The first night of performances will include OSU student group 8th Floor Improv. The group’s performance will feature long-form improv, a form of improvisation in which members create scenes inspired by a word or idea from the audience.

“We really like Columbus Comedy Festival and that they try to bring all the forms of comedy together,” said Nate Varrone, a third-year in English and a member of 8th Floor Improv.

Wild Goose Creative fosters an opportunity for the community to discover local comedic talent by creating a festival that brings together Columbus comedians.

“Our goal is to always try to do community-driven art. The purpose of every performance, every concert, every gallery opening, is to try to build some sort of community,” Dekker said.

The Dutch Company, made up primarily of 8th Floor Improv alumni, is an improv comedy group that performs at Wild Goose Creative and other venues around the city, said Kevin Bauer, a third-year in communication, president of 8th Floor Improv, and member of Dutch Company.

Dutch Company will perform a montage, a type of long-form improv, on Saturday, the third night of the festival.

“Expect our show to be high-energy and a lot of fun,” Bauer said. “Dutch Company has a great team dynamic.”

Both Varrone and Bauer agreed that it is important and rewarding to have the chance to perform for the entire community.

“The artistic side of the city has been known for a while now, but Columbus has a burgeoning comedy scene that’s way more talented and innovative than most people realize,” Bauer said.

The events will start at 8 p.m. each night of the festival. A full schedule of performances can be found at www.wildgoosecreative.com.

Tickets are $10 each night and can be purchased at the door. All proceeds from the festival will benefit the Columbus Comedy Collective and Wild Goose Creative.