Walk into most department stores and you’ll find an array of sunglasses in every size, shape and color imaginable. Finding the right pair takes some time and a lot of trial and error. However, I am here to tell you there is a science to finding the right style for you.

There are four basic face shapes, according to Nordstrom’s website: oval, round, square and triangle. It defines an oval face as symmetrical with jaw narrowing evenly to the chin. A round face is widest at the cheekbones and has the same width and height. Square faces have a uniform width from the forehead to the cheekbones and a prominent jawline. Finally, triangular faces narrow from the cheekbones to the chin.

Oversized sunglasses tend to flatter all face types. Just make sure that the frames are not too round, this is what causes you to look like a bug. Choose oval and rectangular frames that cover your eyebrows and end right above your cheekbone. These are meant to cover the entire eye area, not half of your face.

Aviators are hard to get right. They generally only flatter oval and triangular shaped faces because of their unique shape and size. These also have a tendency to look better on men. Look for a pair that covers from right below your eyebrows to the top of your cheekbone. A pair with a thicker frame are less likely to slip off your head.

Wayfarers, made popular by Ray-Ban, will flatter all face shapes if you find the right size. Smaller frames will look better on square and triangular faces, while bigger frames flatter oval and round ones. This style should sit high on your face and only cover from below your eyebrows to the very top of your cheekbones. You should not be able to feel the frame under your eye at all.

Shield sunglasses can sometimes look like a ski mask gone wrong. They are known as “wraparounds” because they cover the face from ear to ear. These are usually rimless or have metal frames. Shield styles depend most heavily on your clothing style. If you like lots of bling and want to look like a rock star, then this is the style for you. Make sure they cover your eyebrows down to your cheekbone.

Something you should consider: price does matter. If you plan on keeping this pair for the rest of your life, or at least a few years, find a designer brand with polarized lenses that cost between $50 and $100. They really will fit your face better. For those of you who think your style will change within a year, go to your nearest Target or Forever 21.

Most importantly, wear sunglasses every day, even in the snow. Trust me, your 40-year-old self will thank you. The sun ray’s are constantly damaging your eyes as well as your skin. Since there is no sunscreen equivalent for eyes, fabulous sunglasses are the next best thing.