A needle, thread and a gift for gab are the only things necessary for a night at Stitch ‘n Bitch Knitters Group.

“Stitch ‘n Bitch is an example of what we call our community groups,” said Beth Dekker, curator for Wild Goose Creative, a collective that supports local artists, “which is essentially just groups of people … with a like-focus.”

For nearly two years, people from many different walks of life have gathered at Wild Goose Creative on Tuesday evenings to bond over whatever their knitting projects may be.

“A majority of the projects are crochet and knitting, but I know people have definitely done sewing projects in the past,” Dekker said.

The Columbus branch of Stitch ‘n Bitch is part of a larger organization consisting of 1,049 groups in more than 250 domestic and international locations.

The Stitch ‘n Bitch organization has spawned its own yarn company, Stitch Nation, as well as New York Times’ bestselling books by author  Debbie Stoller, who owns the yarn company.

Stoller’s knitting books include “Son of Stitch ‘n Bitch,” a how-to guide for males interested in the craft, as well as “Stitch ‘n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker,” including projects for cropped tops and colorful hats.

Stoller did not immediately respond for comment.

Those who attend Stitch ‘n Bitch gatherings are not just honing their knitting skills.

Adrienne Raimo, a head organizer for the Columbus chapter of Stitch ‘n Bitch, said she continues to attend these events because of the sense of community she feels with the rest of the group.

“We help each other with dropped stitches, broken relationships or even finding a good, trustworthy car mechanic,” Raimo said.

Dekker said though there is generally a core group of mostly women who come to Stitch ‘n Bitch each week, these nights are open to anyone with an appreciation for yarn and a good conversation.

“There’s really no set schedule or program,” Dekker said of Stitch ‘n Bitch nights. “It’s pretty casual. Usually people bring their own snacks, drinks and whatever they’re working on.”

Neda Golchin, who has been attending Stitch ‘n Bitch since she moved to Columbus two years ago, said a lack of experience should not hold anyone back from joining the group.

“There are beginners working on their first knit rectangle, as well as crafters who have indie businesses selling their handmade goods,” Golchin said.

From beginners to experts, elderly to undergrads, those in attendance discuss a variety of topics over their needles and thread.

Raimo, who is a registered dietitian, said she’s guided conversations through new food laws and corporate tactics regarding trans fats.

Still, Raimo says conversations can take a turn toward the unexpected.

“(We discuss) weird things like placenta art, which is probably why we don’t have many regular male attendees,” Raimo said.

Stitch ‘n Bitch Knitters Group meets every Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. at Wild Goose Creative on 2491 Summit St.