Home » Uncategorized » Real’ auditions draw hundreds

Real’ auditions draw hundreds

Lauren Hallow / Lantern photographer

Hundreds of people did their best to impress in hopes of getting a taste of fame in season 26 of MTV’s reality show, “The Real World.” An open casting call was held at McFadden’s Restaurant and Saloon on Saturday.

Doors opened at 10 a.m. and allowed a line of “Real World” hopefuls extending from the entrance of McFadden’s to the doors of Ugly Tuna Saloona to enter the bar.

Doors closed at 5 p.m., and interviews wrapped up at about 7 p.m.

The first person in line arrived at 9 a.m., said Morgan Allen, McFadden’s director of marketing and promotion.

She estimated about 500 people showed up for the audition with individuals waiting two hours at most in a line which weaved through the downstairs of the establishment and poured out the doors most of the day. The show’s casting directors conducted group interviews in the upstairs section of the bar.

Zach Lee, a third-year in animal science at the University of Findlay, was one of many who shivered in line Saturday morning waiting to get inside.

Lee said he is adamant about getting on reality TV.

He tried out for CBS’s “Survivor” three times, “The Real World” last year and is hoping to audition for CBS’s “Big Brother” in two weeks.

Although he wants to get on “The Real World” “really bad,” he said he would rather be on a more competitive series.

If casted, he said he would use the opportunity to later take part in “The Real World’s” spin-off show, “The Challenge.

Many prospective cast members said they were trying out just for the fun of it and would wing their interviews.

Aaron Duncan, a second-year in sports medicine at the University of Akron, said he was simply just looking for “something new to do.”

Duncan, unlike many potential cast members, did have a plan for his interview.

“I’m going to tell them I enjoy vagina,” he said, then exposing a red shirt he was wearing under his jacket, reading “enjoy vagina” in a Coke-like logo.

“The Real World” is currently airing its 25th season, stationed in Las Vegas. Ethan Ridenbaugh, a third-year in visual communication design at Ohio State, said he’s displeased with the Las Vegas season.

“I’m more of a fan of the older seasons. This one right now kind of sucks,” Ridenbaugh said.

Casting directors decide upon casting locations depending on how much interest people show in being casted per location by filling out entry forms at the Bunim-Murray Productions website, the company that produces the show.

One must appear to be between the ages of 18 and 24, provide a valid photo ID and bring a recent photo to attend an open casting, according to the website.

Allen said said MTV chose the establishment because of its capacity of 200 people, is in a good location with a parking garage next to it and in walking distance for many OSU students.

Allen and Ridenbaugh said those chosen for the next round of interviews would be notified the evening of the casting call but were not allowed to disclose details because of a confidentiality agreement.

Casting directors were unavailable to comment at the event.