It’s no secret that some students can have a tough time graduating in four years with one bachelor’s degree.

But one Ohio State student will graduate at Spring Commencement with nearly one degree for each year he was in school.

David Chao, a fifth-year in international studies, German, political science and psychology, will be graduating with four bachelor’s degrees this quarter.

Chao, who attends OSU on a scholarship covering his full tuition, said the decision to complete four degrees came from deciding to spend five years at OSU.

“I thought of it in terms of mathematics,” Chao said. “There was actually very little incentive to go very quickly.”

Chao said he was around 15 years old when he decided what he wanted to study in college.

Chao was born in Rockville, Md., but has lived in Columbus most of his life. He said his mother, who came from Taiwan, raised him in accordance with a strict, East-Asian attitude.

This quarter, Chao is taking 35 credit hours, the most he has taken in one quarter. He said he typically takes 20 to 25 credit hours per quarter and only took classes during one Summer Quarter.

“I had a pretty good distribution in terms of how I separated (the majors),” Chao said.

Read Monday’s edition of The Lantern for the rest of the story.

This article has been revised to reflect the following correction:

Correction: April 15, 2011

An earlier version of this article stated that Chao’s mother came from China. She is from Taiwan.