The Columbus Blue Jackets have acquired an All-Star center to pair with All-Star right winger Rick Nash.

The Columbus Blue Jackets confirmed a trade with the Philadelphia Flyers on Thursday that will bring center Jeff Carter to Nationwide Arena. In exchange, Philadelphia will receive right winger Jakub Voracek, a former first-round draft pick of the Blue Jackets.

The Flyers also received Columbus’ first- and third-round draft picks, the eighth and 68th picks overall, in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, which begins Friday in Minneapolis.

Carter, a member of the 2009 Eastern Conference All-Star team, scored 36 goals and had 30 assists last season in Philadelphia. For his career, Carter recorded 181 goals and 162 assists in six season with the Flyers, including a career-best 46 goals during Philadelphia’s 2008–09 season. The 6-foot-3, right-handed center also recorded 13 goals in 47 career playoff games with the Flyers.

“The Columbus Blue Jackets are very pleased and excited to acquire Jeff Carter,” Blue Jackets general manager Mark Howson said in a press release. “Jeff is a proven number one center in the National Hockey League and we look forward to him having many productive seasons as a Blue Jacket.”

Voracek departs Columbus after three full seasons with the Blue Jackets. In that time, Voracek recorded 39 goals and 95 assists. He has one assist in four career playoff games with Columbus.

Blue Jackets’ assistant captain and left winger RJ Umberger was Carter’s teammate in Philadelphia from 2005–2008. Umberger posted on his Twitter account, @Umby18, at about 4:37 p.m.: “Lost great teammate in Voracek, But excited to be teammates w/ my 1st ever NHL center #Jeff Carter #CBJ Fans be excited. #Crazy.”

Columbus begins its 2011–12 season on Oct. 7 at Nationwide Arena against the Nashville Predators.