The Ohio State Athletic Department’s deadline to respond to the NCAA’s Notice of Allegations, originally scheduled for Tuesday, will be delayed because of Independence Day.

University spokesman Jim Lynch confirmed to The Lantern that OSU’s deadline has been extended to July 8.

“Due to the holiday weekend, the NCAA Committee on infractions extended the response date for all parties,” Lynch said in a voicemail to The Lantern.

Lynch added that OSU did not request to have the July 5 deadline extended, saying, “It was an extension that was provided to all parties (by the NCAA).”

The NCAA’s Notice of Allegations, sent to OSU President E. Gordon Gee on April 21, detailed the charges the university faces. In the report, the NCAA said former coach Jim Tressel failed to behave with “honesty and integrity,” and knowingly played ineligible players, including former quarterback Terrelle Pryor, Dan Herron, DeVier Posey, Solomon Thomas  and Mike Adams.

Pryor departed the university on June 7 to pursue an NFL career.

The NCAA’s report also revealed that OSU may be designated as a “repeat offender” due to violations committed by former basketball coach Jim O’Brien and 2006 Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Troy Smith.

University officials will make their case to the Committee on Infractions on Aug. 12 in Indianapolis.

OSU will begin its upcoming season under new coach Luke Fickell on Sept. 3 at Ohio Stadium against the Akron Zips.