As The Lantern staff walked out of the newsroom Sunday night, it marked an end for some editors and a beginning for others.

It is an emotional time for editor-in-chief Zack Meisel as he finishes his three-year career at the paper.

“It won’t sink in until I leave here for the last time,” Meisel said. “I’m going to miss it.”

Meisel will graduate this weekend and then cover the Cleveland Indians for the remainder of their season for MLB.com, the official website of Major League Baseball.

Meisel advises future Lantern staff members to have their priorities in line.

Lantern, then sleep, then class,” Meisel said. “Always put forth the effort and persistence necessary to do the best job you can. Don’t get lazy.”

Reflecting on his time at The Lantern, Meisel said he feels lucky to be part of the best student newspaper in Ohio for 2010, an award The Lantern received from the Ohio Newspaper Association. He added that last week’s coverage of Jim Tressel’s resignation was a powerful glimpse at what it will be like in the “real world” of journalism.

Jami Jurich, a third-year in journalism, will be replacing Meisel. She served one quarter as managing editor for content and said the experience was both challenging and enjoyable.

“It’s been a lot of hard work, very challenging, but it’s been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life,” Jurich said. “I think we had a great camaraderie in the newsroom that made it very easy to come to work and produce a great paper.”

Chelsea Castle, a third-year in journalism, will be replacing Jurich.

Campus editor Ally Marotti, a second-year in journalism and comparative cultural studies, is leaving the paper to study in Spain but hopes to return to The Lantern. She advises Lantern reporters to prepare to work hard, always be “on your toes” and expect something new, but promises it will be worth it.

“It’s a non-stop job, 24/7,” she said. “It’s so rewarding, and there are so many opportunities available. You just have to be ready to jump in whenever.”

Thomas Bradley, a third-year in journalism, who has been writing for the campus section for the past two quarters, is the new campus editor.

“I hope to continue to follow the path that Ally set,” Bradley said. “I plan to commit my time and my efforts to make The Lantern the best paper it can be.”

The other new editors are: Chris Schwartz, managing editor for design; Chris Poche, design editor; Ayan Sheikh, multimedia editor; Cody Cousino, photo editor; Matt Edwards, assistant multimedia editor; Lindsey Fox, assistant multimedia editor; Patrick Brennan, assistant sports editor; and Brittany Schock, assistant photo editor.

“I’m confident that the incoming staff will maintain the standard that we have set,” Meisel said.