Home » Sports » Football » Ohio State responds to NCAA Notice of Allegations

Ohio State responds to NCAA Notice of Allegations

Please follow and like us:
Facebook
Google+
Twitter

Ohio State has officially responded to its NCAA Notice of Allegations.

An OSU spokeswoman confirmed to The Lantern that the athletic program’s response, originally expected on Tuesday until the NCAA extended the deadline for all parties involved, was filed today.

OSU representatives also confirmed to The Lantern last week that the report OSU filed today would be made public Monday.

On Thursday, OSU athletic director Gene Smith told the Associated Press that the process of responding to the NCAA has been “hard.”

“We’re really been hurt by the fact that everybody in the athletic department has been indicted because of the actions of a few,” Smith told the AP.

Smith has declined to comment to The Lantern since June 1.

The NCAA’s Notice of Allegations, sent to OSU President E. Gordon Gee on April 21, detailed the charges the university faces. In the report, the NCAA said former coach Jim Tressel failed to behave with “honesty and integrity,” and knowingly played ineligible players, including former quarterback Terrelle Pryor, Dan Herron, DeVier Posey, Solomon Thomas  and Mike Adams.

Pryor departed the university on June 7 to pursue an NFL career.

The NCAA’s report also revealed that OSU may be designated as a “repeat offender” due to violations committed by former basketball coach Jim O’Brien and 2006 Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Troy Smith.

At least one additional fateful date awaits OSU and its fans before the 2011 football season begins on Sept. 3 at Ohio Stadium against the Akron Zips — on Aug. 12, OSU officials will convene with the NCAA’s Committee on Infractions in Indianapolis and make a case for lessened punishments.  

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.